Author Topic: a bit confused  (Read 1098 times)

Offline prncss

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 04, 2006, 10:00:46 am »
when i read the book it seems to convey the message that feeding every 2 hrs is not good and you wnat to get the feedings further apart and get the night feeds longer apart... but the psots here are supporting the 2 hr feeds... I am confused... Also, not meaning to make anyone angry... Iam just overtired and wanting my son to feed less and sleep more...

[url=http://lafemmebonita.com][img]

Offline alison reed

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
a bit confused
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 12:30:33 pm »
Hi prncss

How old is your baby?

It is just that the goverment recommend breastfeeding until your baby is 6 months before your start weaning on to solids. But not all babies can wait until then. My daughter went from feeding every 4 hours dureing the day and a 2 hour bulk feed at night and sleeping through the night to walking every 2 hours and feeding every hour during the day at 4 1/2 months to feeding every hour in the night and every 15 minutes after a 45 minute feed at 5 months and in the end at 5 1/2 months My health visitor and doctor both agreed to let my start weaning her on to solids as I was exhursted and very depressed as all I was doing was being a milk machine and I did not have any time for my son other than when my daughter was a sleep which also made me feel depressed.

Also it could be that your baby is looking having a growth spurt.

I know it os hard with baby feeding so often but keep it up their are so mainy different advantages of breastfeeding for baby and your self.
Alison

mother of two:

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
a bit confused
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 19:34:03 pm »
Newborns should be fed every 2-3 hrs(day) to establish a good milk supply. It is important not to let them sleep all day so they eat enough and will sleep better at night.

Breastfeeding is a really personal relationship, each baby/mom pair is different in how well the baby latches on, how much milk mom has, etc. Some moms feed every 1.5, some moms feed every 3-4 hrs (day) It just depends on what works best for you.

The posters here and moderators can help you establish an EASY routine that works with breastfeeding and the current WHO guidelines.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

a bit confused
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 22:44:25 pm »
I just want to add that those who post have problems of some sort and need advice. Those whose babies happily go 3 hours or longer have no need to post here :wink:. That's why all you can see are worried moms of babies who want to nurse that often. For that reason, if we have a mom whose baby is not able to go longer between feeds than two hours, we recommend to nurse that often for the sake of baby's growth and milk supply. Mostly babies outgrow their need to nurse that often by 2 or 3 months and are able to extend their feed times naturally. But we have to remember that each baby is an individual and Tracy tells us to listen to what they say, so obviously if they are 6 weeks old and are hungry we want to feed them.

HTH :) ,

Offline prncss

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 09:49:08 am »
thank you. I understand a bit better. I am happy I am breast feeding... i am proud to be able to do it. It is just hard not to feel like a human pacifier at times... and we have been through a lot in our 10 weeks already... (Open heart surgery, high bilirubin and a resp infection) I just hope to have him on some sort of routine soon. No 2 days are alike for us and it is hard. His sleep is minimal both day and night now and we are both exhosted.

[url=http://lafemmebonita.com][img]

Offline Lewis'mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
a bit confused
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 15:34:30 pm »
You poor thing - it sounds like a rough 10 weeks for you  :(  I think if you try to follow his lead, ie if he wants to feed every 2 hours then let him, then he will fall into his own routine after a while. My LO fed every 2 hours at first and I know what you mean about being a human pacifier - my DP called me the milk machine for weeks! Hang in there - remember that it will get easier.
xxx
Michaela - Mum to Lewis, our textbook baby, born 11th October 2005