Author Topic: Thinking about relactating ?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline TayTay'smummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
Thinking about relactating ?
« on: January 04, 2006, 17:04:48 pm »
Hi there, I'm a new mom who struggled with milk supply issues every day for two and a half months until I finally just gave up. Well, two weeks ago I passed what was confirmed to be a piece of retained placenta, it was horrible! My midwives said that the retained placenta must have been to blame because it can cause a hinderance in lactating hormones.  I was relieved to find out there was at least some cause since I had tried literally everything, plus I'm an LC and maternity nurse so I had lots of advice.

It has been a month since she has breastfed and I'm thinking about trying to nurse her again since I now know the cause of our troubles. There is very little literature on it, and most people don't even know it's possible. Does anybody have any ideas. I'm sure if I pumped I could get milk supply back, however, the real problem will be getting her latched on after month of bottle feeding. I have tried a few times but she doesn't even recognize the nipple as a feeding source and just looks at me kind of confused.Does anyone have any ideas as to how I would be able to latch her on ? I'm desperate. I really want to try again.
Mummy to Miss Taylor (Born Sept.14/05)

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 17:35:04 pm »
I bumped up an old thread for you titled "Who relactated".  Hopefully it will be helpful.  You should contact Colleen through PM.  She also might see this and respond.  She has a lot of info on the topic (and many others  :wink: )

The fact that it hasn't been very long is a huge bonus.  I think your body would bounce right back with pumping and latching baby on as much as you can.

Lots of luck.
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

annamum

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 22:49:31 pm »
You can also check out this for relactating: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/index.html

Offline TayTay'smummy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 00:46:47 am »
Thank you so much Jennifer2e. I e-mailed Colleen and will check out kellymom Anna, thanks so much, I will keep you up on updates.
Mummy to Miss Taylor (Born Sept.14/05)

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 02:20:53 am »
And if you have more specific questions that just don't seem to be answered anywhere else, you could try emailing Dr. Jack Newman in Toronto - he's the Canadian breastfeeding guru!  :D He actually responds!!

drjacknewman@sympatico.ca
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha