Author Topic: White noise  (Read 1261 times)

Offline Maryellen

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
White noise
« on: January 04, 2006, 17:59:49 pm »
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure who mentioned it, but someone suggested white noise at nap times to help calm a baby down to sleep. My son is so willful and agitated at nap times. As soon as I swaddle him, he gets all worked up because he knows nap time is coming and he hates the fight. On a whim, I turned the radio on and set the tuner to between stations and my son stopped crying immediately. I continued to pat his back (normally, I have to do this for 45 minutes or longer) and he went to sleep right away. I don't know if it's a permanent fix, but today, at the end of my rope, it was a little nugget of peace straight from heaven. I want to say thank you for posting that idea. I was literally at my wit's end and ready to give up trying to make him sleep at all.

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
White noise
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 05:20:02 am »
excellent - thanks for sharing!

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
White noise
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 01:07:24 am »
This is exactly what we did for ds for about 3 months when he was younger :D  I think it blocks out any distractions, and gives them something to concentrate as they travel to the land of nod. It worked really well for ages, and then ds suddenly didn't seem to need it any more, so we dropped it. I had been worried it was a prop, but no probs.

Good on you for finding something that helps your lo :D
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline Maryellen

• Showing Appreciation 0
White noise
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 01:53:49 am »
I guess, in my desperation, I was just a little too optimistic. It seems Josh "figures out" whatever I come up with and defeats all my efforts to help him. Tonight, he's been crying for nearly 3 hours. I'm so destroyed. I wish I could finally figure out what will help him. I needed to leave the room because my back is so sore from leaning over that bloody crib patting his back. He did throw up, though and he keeps gulping saliva, so I wonder if he's struggling with reflux. It would make a lot of sense as to why he hates bed and nap times so viciously.

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
White noise
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 02:26:50 am »
Hi - just happened upon your post tonight.

Couple of things - white noise works great in our house - how about a fan?  We have one inside a hamper, tiny little fan, locked the hamper:) so that the air doesn't circulate much around the room and make ds cold, and the lock is obviously so he doesn't get into it! (quite a bit older than your lo).

You mentioned reflux - what makes you think that, other than the bad sleeping?  (which of course IS a possible symptom...but lot's of lo's have bad sleeping issues!)
If your lo DOES have reflux, crying for hours, even many min's on end will make it worse :cry: .

Can you post what you think the symptoms are, and any schedule you have your lo on, and we'll take a look at it together?

Also, if you go to the Colic/Reflux and Crying board, there is a post called Reflux 101 that lists the symptoms of reflux.  That may be of a bit of help.
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Maryellen

• Showing Appreciation 0
White noise
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 17:54:35 pm »
I'm just guessing reflux, since it seems illogical that Josh should cry so hysterically for so long at nap and bedtimes.

I have tried every night this week to get him to sleep in the crib. He did alright the first week I did this, but I was leaving him to cry (unaware that I had to stay with him and pat/shush him to sleep) and he'd cry for maybe 20 minutes and then sleep most of the night. Since I started patting/shushing him, he's "on to me" and won't stop crying. I usually give up after about 4 hours and take him into the bed with me.

On the odd occassion I do get him to sleep (which never takes less than 45 minutes - EVER) he will only sleep for half an hour at a time. I am getting desperate. He looks like he's constantly gulping spit and several times he's woken up choking. Recently, he's starting throwing up when I nurse him at night (not sure if this is overfeeding or if it's something else making his tummy unable to settle).

The other thing is, a routine is really hard to establish. We usuall wake up between 8:30 and 10 (because I've had a hard time getting out of bed given being up most of the night with him). I try to put him back down within an hour of waking and it's a huge fight. Then I try to put him back down around noon-ish. And again in the afternoon. Bedtime is a total nightmare. We usually start around 6:30. I give him a bath, rock him in the chair while we listen to lullabies, then we go in the room where I sing to him for about five minutes. Then I put him down and he'll cry endlessly (or until I cave in and take him to my bed because he's worked himself up so much he's throwing up).

I don't know what to do.

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
White noise
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 00:48:14 am »
Oh hun, you sound so sad. I'm sorry you're struggling like this. How are you today?

Have you had a look on the Reflux board? Did you look at reflux 101? What did it tell you? I hope it was helpful to you. If not, please let us know, and we will see if we can help you.

Take care, let us know how you are getting on
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston