Author Topic: when/how to stop dream feed  (Read 2374 times)

Offline karfow

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 04, 2006, 20:47:50 pm »
Hi - I am introducing my ds to solids and he is doing really well - am just about to introduce his third meal and he's eating a fair amount each time.
DS is 24 weeks on saturday so we started a few weeks early but he is a big baby. 
He currently has 4 x 8oz bottles  a day with breakfast and lunch/pudding and has a 5oz dream feed at 10.30pm.  Dinner to be introduced on Friday. I have read Tracey's advice on how to stop a dream feed but am confused - does it mean if you are weaning or if you aren't? 
DS won't take any more milk in the day - i think 32oz is plenty - so what shall i do - just reduce the dream feed gradually?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Karyn

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
when/how to stop dream feed
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 21:27:07 pm »
Hi, I have just posted the same question as I have started ds on his third meal and still dreamfeeding. he is 6 months and now wakes up at 11 for his df which is 7oz..  I hope we get some answers as I'm so  :?

Offline karfow

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 10:36:22 am »
Yes, i am looking forward to stopping it so i can go to bed at 9 o'clock if i damn well please without having to set thge alarm for his DF!!!

Karyn

Offline Livingmom

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 03:26:14 am »
I was very excited when my dh and I were able to drop the dreamfeed. We always took turns--but it is nice that we can both go to bed at the same time.
With my lo--we were lucky and just dropped the dreamfeed cold turkey over our christmas break. We decided that since we were on vacation and didn't have to work that week--we would just try not giving it to her--and she slept right on through the night. She has never needed since. (She was almost 7 months when that happened)

What I have read about dropping the dreamfeed is that you gradually lessen the amount of liquid at the dreamfeed and if needed try to add that during the bottles given during the day. When you are down to about an ounce at the dreamfeed--then just stop giving liquid.

HTH
Judy
Mom to Zoey (DOB 5/31/05) and Zander (DOB 7/24/07)

Offline LisaN

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 14:13:24 pm »
Hi,  I too have recently dropped the dream feed over the christmas period.  I was going to do the 'gradual thing' by reducing the feed amount but he seemed to be quite happy going cold turkey!!  My son is 7 months and he eats three good meals a day and drinks approx 25 fl oz per day....
hope this helps in some way.

Offline karfow

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 16:17:53 pm »
Thank you for the advice - we will be doing our third night of 4oz at 10pm tonight and then after the fourth i intend to reduce it. 
In Tracy's book she advises bringing the time earlier aswell - has anyone else tried this?  I am quite nervous about dropping to 3 at 9.30!!!

Thanks

Karyn

Offline Critter

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 18:18:46 pm »
My son is seven months old and still takes his dream feed.  He's sucking down 6 or 7 ounces at that feed, so I am thinking he still needs it.  Any thoughts?  We tried to get rid of it before Christmas and ended waking up to feed.  He's on solids 3x per day and takes 6-7 oz every 4 hours.
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 19:22:46 pm »
I've been doing the df earlier & earlier to phase it out - so far, it's been working well.  We're now at 8:30 (used to give it after 10:00).  She's still been waking up at the same time in the morning & hasn't been waking in the night.  I'm at the point where I'm just not sure about going any earlier...  I may just try dropping it after another night or two at 8:30.
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)

Offline momtoelise

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 19:00:50 pm »
Just wanted to say I dropped the df completely for the first time last night & she still slept thru with no problems.  Hope it went well for you & keeping my fingers crossed we'll have continued success!!
Heather
Mom to Elise (2005), Jack (2008), Isaac (2012)

Offline karfow

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 19:18:59 pm »
Hi!

Yes, we gave DS his last DF on Friday and he has happily gone without for the last two nights so lets hope that is that!

Karyn