Author Topic: How to drop a dreamfeed  (Read 5756 times)

Offline Taylor5

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How to drop a dreamfeed
« on: January 04, 2006, 21:20:08 pm »
Hello this is my first time on this site I had a quick read and it looks to be packed with great advice.
I'm looking for help with dropping a dream feed, my ds is nearly 6 months he is on 3 spoonfeeds a day and 5 7oz bottles ( 1 of these a dreamfeed) his routine is as follows:
8.30 to 9am breakfast and bottle
10 to 11am nap
12.30 lunch and bottle
2pm to 3pm nap
4.30 spoonfeed and bottle
6.15 approx, bath
7pm bottle then bed
11pm dreamfeed....
He was breastfed untill 3 months and slept all night from 3 weeks so why I started a dreamfeed I dont know but it seemed like a good idea  :idea: at the time. He's a brilliant baby and I'm really happy  :D  but I would be even happier if I could drop this feed.
Please help
Taylor

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 21:43:47 pm »
Sorry I forgot to say he wakes up around 11pm for his feed, please help.

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 11:19:33 am »
Hi Taylor

The easiest way to eliminate the DF is to cut back on the amount of milk you give by an ounce a day until you're down to one ounce, then on the following night don't give the feed.

If he wakes expecting the feed after that then you can try just offering cool boiled water instead - they soon get to the point where they realise water isn't work waking up for! :)

HTH

love
Marie

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 20:05:41 pm »
Thanks for that advice will start doing that from tonight, will let you know how I get on.
Taylor

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 14:12:46 pm »
just refreshing this post, please help, there is loads of people reading this post but only one person posted with advice.... please all advice welcome

Offline CharlotteS

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Love my little FL man!
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 02:58:38 am »
Hi, Taylor!

Lots of people are visiting, because it's a GREAT post!  Unfortunately, lots of us are having the same problem and don't know how to answer this for you.  (Sorry...)

I have a similar problem, but DS doesn't wake for his feed anymore.  He's just over eight months, and I've tried to give him more food during the day so that I could give him less at night, and, in doing so, wean the df!  But, he's only eating so much these days.  If I add any more he spits it up!

I would have to say, Taylor, if you've tried feeding more during the day, and less at night, gradually, and it STILL doesn't work to wean the df, maybe your LO isn't ready to give up the df yet.  Give it another month or so until the solids are enough to sustain him.

Hope that helps a little.  Wish I could help you out more.

Hugs!
Charlotte
Mama to spirited angel Josiah
May 8, 2005

Offline Tammy: Ethan & Kaden's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 14
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 03:07:49 am »
Hi Taylor.

I did the df with my ds until solids were established, and then started to cut back. I didn't start solids with my ds until 6 mos, so I think it was around 7.5 months when I decided to try and drop the df.

I used to feed him five 6 oz. bottles a day (including the df bottle).  So, what I did was..

day 1 - cut back the df bottle by 1 oz (making it a 5 oz bottle), and add that 1 oz. to his morning bottle, making it a 7 oz. bottle.  Move up the df time by 30 minutes.  (I used to do the df at 10 pm, so I moved it to 9:30 pm)  Do this for 3 days.

day 4 - cut back the df bottle by another oz. (making it a 4 oz. bottle), and add that oz to his 2nd bottle of the day (so he's now getting two 7 oz. bottles during the day).  Move the df up another 30 minutes.  Do this for 3 days.

day 7 - cut back the df bottle by another oz. (making it a 3 oz bottle), add that oz to his 3rd bottle of the day (now he's getting three 7 oz bottles).  Move the df up by another 30 minutes.  Do this for 3 days.

day 10 - cut back the df bottle by another oz. (making it a 2 oz bottle), add that oz to his 4th and last bottle of the day (making all four bottles 7 oz. now).  Move the df up by another 30 minutes.  Do this for 3 days.

Day 13 - drop the df all together.

Doing it gradually helps to give them time to start increasing their eating during the day so they're not missing those nighttime calories. 

I personally did the 2 oz. df much longer than I probably needed to, but I was so paranoid that ds would wake.  But you know, when I finally dropped them, he actually slept better than when I went in to do the df.  We never looked back, and I have not had to feed him in the night since then.

Hope that helps a bit.

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 14:18:03 pm »
Hi Charlotte & Tammy
firstly I want to say sorry if I sounded snotty in my last post about people not posting  :oops:  It's just my 1st time on this site and found it very slow in getting advice, the other sites I'm on, not many mums df so I couldnt get help there.... I also read my babywhisperer book and nothing, I was just starting to panic as I could see my self df a 2 year old! Again I sorry.

Well Tammy  I have started doing as you said and all is going well at the moment, I wasnt adding the extra oz into his daytime feeds but I will start this when making his bottles tonight.... he did wake last night at 3am but it was with his teeth rather than hunger.

Charlotte I have tried giving bigger spoonfeeds during the day but as you say he started spitting it back, so I'll give what Tammy said a try and as I cut back on the df I'll add that oz into his daytime bottle. 

Thanks girls, you dont know how happy you both have made me with you help and advice, so big cyber hugs and kisses to you both xxxxxx
Taylor

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 16:47:19 pm »
Taylor, you didn't sound mean at all!  I know how it is to want advice so much, especially when you feel like you have a problem on your hands!  So no worries there!

The plan to decrease the df I wrote out is in the 2nd babywhisperer book, the Solves All Your Problems one. 

I hope this works out for you well!  It really did help us get rid of that last df bottle.  BTW, my ds never took all of his bottles all the time.  So when I started adding those extra ounces to his daytime bottles, he sometimes took it, sometimes not.  But I figured the option was there!

Good luck, and let us know how you get along in a bit!

Offline CharlotteS

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Love my little FL man!
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 21:10:19 pm »
Hi, Taylor!

No, I didn't think that you sounded snotty at all!  I think you sounded frustrated with the situation and sad that only one person responded to you!  So, no worries!  I would have responded sooner if I had seen it.  :oops:

The funniest thing last night:  I woke up out of a sound sleep, and thought, "OH!  I need to tell Taylor this..."  It's true, I forgot to share with you one of the things that we've been doing here.  So here goes:

One thing that's helped me lots is moving UP the df.  Instead of feeding at 11, I started feeding at 10:45 for a couple of days.  Then I moved it up to 10:30 while also cutting DS's bottle down an ounce. (Tammy mentioned this in her post.)

We're now at a 9:45 or 10:00 feeding, and I'm stuck because he won't take anymore food during the day without spitting up.  Many moms have said that this is the point that I should just stop the df since he's getting enough food during the day AND not waking at night for the df.  I'm scared to do that though.  But, I thought I would share that with you!

I hope that helps, and hugs to you!
Charlotte
May 8, 2005

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 23:17:05 pm »
Thanks again girls,
I have him down to 5oz dream feed at 10pm, I have also increased his daytime feeds to 2 8oz feeds and 2 regular 7oz feeds, but I'll up these over the next few days...
Tammy your son Ethan is the image of my son its unreal, I'll have to post a photo of Alex. He is only 6 months but you would think they where twins! (the 2 bottom teeth are so cute) I showed my dh the photo of Ethan and we sat staring at it in shock, they say everybody had a double somewhere in the world.
Talk soon
Taylor

Offline CharlotteS

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Love my little FL man!
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2006, 18:44:45 pm »
Hi, Taylor!

Just an update for you!  I took my own advice and dropped the df last night.  DS was able to go all night, and I'm very proud of him.  I'll miss the "snuggle time" that I got during the df, but it'll be better for his sleep in the long-run.

Good luck, hon!
Hugs!
Charlotte
May 8, 2005

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2006, 21:24:05 pm »
Charlotte well done on dropping the dreamfeed, you wont know what to do with youself in the evenings now! I know it only takes a few minutes but sometimes its nice to stick on a movie and have a few glasses of wine without having to keep an eye on the clock, I dont like to complain with having to do a df when there are mums out there still doing night feeds for babies the same age or older...
Thanks for the help all is going well, I will keep you updated on how its going.
Taylor

Offline CharlotteS

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Love my little FL man!
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 00:50:29 am »
Oooo, wine!!!  Yummy...  Thanks for reminding me, Taylor!  That will be nice!

Things will go well for you too.  I don't think you're complaining!  I understand what you're going through completely!!

PLEASE let us know how it's going.  PM me personally if you'd like!  :D

Hugs!!
Charlotte
May 8, 2005

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2006, 21:48:43 pm »
Charlotte  all is well at the moment, I have him down to 5oz and have moved from 11 to 10, but last night he woke early 9.30pm (as dh forgot to put bonjella on him gums before bed) with his teeth as it was only a 1/2 an hour I fed him... I thought he would wake in the early hours of the morning getting fed so early, but no he didnt he slept untill 8.45am which is his normal time. So I trilled  :D to bits that things are going so well please God there is more of the same to come.
Thanks for all the help
Taylor

Offline CharlotteS

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Love my little FL man!
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 03:13:58 am »
Still going well, Taylor?  I've been thinking about you!  :D
Charlotte
May 8, 2005

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 21:15:30 pm »
Hi Charlotte
All is going well  :D  at the moment, to tell you the truth I dont know myself in the evenings now... even thought ds would be in bed at 7pm I could never clock off untill after his df (which was 11pm), even if it was only to watch a movie and a glass of wine. The df is now at 9.30pm and down to 4oz bottles, he did grumble a bit when his bottle was gone, it was kind of "Is that it mammy!" Even though he grumbled he slept untill 8.30am this morning , so I chuffed to bits with it all going so well. I'll keep you updated on how things are going. How are you getting on since dropping the df? Is Joshia still sleeping without it?
Talk soon
Taylor

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 21:17:23 pm »
Sorry I spelt Josiah name wrong in my last post  :oops: I am watching the new while typing!!

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 22:14:35 pm »
Hi Taylor.  Was thinking of you today wondering how dropping the df was going.  I felt the same way when I started moving the df back earlier, it was like, this is so great, I don't have to stay up late if I don't want to!

Sounds like things are going well!

Offline CharlotteS

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Love my little FL man!
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2006, 18:10:31 pm »
Hi, Taylor!

No worries! I can hardly spell DS's name correctly these days.  The letters seem out of place for my fingers.  That's why he's usually "Si" on these boards!  (at least, lately!)

Yes, he's still doing without it.   :D  He sucks every DROP out of his 7 pm bottle as if he knows he won't get one for 12 hours!  He sleeps from about 7:20-7:10.  Been going down and getting up like a trooper!  I'm so proud.

But, like you, I'm a bit lost myself.  I still have yet to go to bed "early" even though I'm technically off the clock for the evening.  I usually end up staying up anyway.   :roll:  I've gotta do something about that!

So happy that the wean seems to be progressing well for you!
Hugs!
Charlotte
May 8, 2005

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2006, 22:49:37 pm »
Hi, all is well here.
Charlotte congrats with dropping the dreamfeed and keep up the good work, give ds a big kiss from me.
I'm down to 3oz bottle at 9pm, I'm going to give 2oz at 8.30 for a few days then stop it after that, please God... He gets his evening bottle at 7pm and is still sleeping untill 8.30am so I'm another proud mum here. I can hear him moving about as I type as there is a couple of cats fighting in the garden at the moment and my God the noise of them! If they wake ds I'll kill them (only joking cat lovers)
I'm another mum here that keeps saying I'm going to have an early night but havent done it yet.
Take care and thanks for the good wishes
Taylor

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
Re: How to drop a dreamfeed
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2006, 22:30:50 pm »
Hi Charlotte,
I hope things are still going well after dropping the dreamfeed.
We had a few upset nights ds waking at 3am or 6am, I was thinking it was the drop in his formula intake and was thinking of going back to giving him the df. But it wasn't it was the fact he was teething, he got 1 of his top teeth on Saturday, but I'm still sticking at dropping the df. I'm going to cut him down to 2oz tomorrow night. I know it might be a bad time to start cutting out the feed, but he is doing well so far so please God it will stay this way.
Taylor

Offline CharlotteS

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Love my little FL man!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 04:21:44 am »
Hooray!  Alex got a tooth!  Is it his first?

I'm really glad to hear that the df wean is going well.  Si doesn't seems to need it anymore.  Sleeps straight through!  Yea!  In fact, he doesn't like it even if I peek in on him at night.  After he hits the bed, he wants to be left alone until morning!  :D

Hugs to you!
Charlotte
May 8, 2005

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2006, 20:30:26 pm »
Hi
Just a quick post to let you know last night was the first night without the dreamfeed.... and he slept all night 8pm to 8.30am ;D ;D ;D ;D so I'm one happy mammy. Long may it last.
Ds got another tooth yesterday so we are on no.4 with 3 waiting to cut through the gum anyday now! He is only 6.5 months old with a mouth full of teeth, I think he is very young for getting his teeth.
Talk again when I have more time on my hands
Thanks again girls for all your df help big cyber kisses too you all
Taylor

Offline Critter

• Showing Appreciation 137
    • The Dallas 3 Day
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 22:30:30 pm »
What do you do if your lo is at his max for daytime bottles?  Can you just cut back an ounce every three days on the df but not add it to the daytime?  My son takes 8oz every 4 hours plus 3 solids during the day.  Any advice appreciated!
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 23:23:25 pm »
Hi Amystoker
My ds was upped to 8oz when I was cutting back on his df, he also has 4 bottles and 3 feeds a day which sounds about right... I wouldnt try and stuff anymore formula into him during the day but you could always add an extra oz to his bedtime bottle after a few days of cutting him back on his df. I dropped an oz and a 1/2 an hour every 3 days until I reached 2oz at 8.30pm (his bedtime bottle is 7pm) I tried to give this 2oz but it really unsettled him, so the next night I just put him to bed at 7pm and he slept until 8.30am :) :)
Is you ds taking a big df? My ds was taking 7oz at df, then got 1oz added to each of his 4 daytime bottles so he is only down 3oz of formula everyday.  Its really hard to start to drop the df as your afraid it will upset the routine or babs will be awake in the small hours looking for food, but no, once you start and things are going well you'll be on top of the world. The only routine affected will be mammies and daddies, I didn't know what to do with myself I was able to open a bottle of wine and kick back and relax without watching the time for a df... and this was only when I was moving it earlier in the evening. Ds has only gone 3 full nights without the df and he is still sleeping like a baby, sorry for the pun!
Good luck with it and let us know how things go, Taylor

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2006, 01:44:30 am »
Yes, he does take a big df...7 or 8 ounces.  I've started cutting it back already to 6 oz.  We've done that for 2 nights, and will go to 5 oz tomorrow to see how that goes.

Thanks for the help.  I will keep you posted!
God will give you exactly what you ask Him for, even if it's not in the package you expected it to be in.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline CharlotteS

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
  • Love my little FL man!
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2006, 13:34:54 pm »
Taylor - I'm SOOOOO happy for you!  I hope ds keeps it up!  {{{HUGS}}} to you, and congrats!!  ;D ;D ;D
Charlotte
May 8, 2005

Offline glee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2006, 08:44:12 am »
my son is now almost 1 year old and I've still not dropped the DF. Reason? He only takes 4 oz in the morning and 4 oz at 7 pm. We add 1 oz formula into all 3 meals which he takes to really well (between 6 - 7 tablespoons each meal). He sleeps from between 730 - 8 pm til 6 am (there or thereabouts). Since the DF (at between 10 - 11 pm - depending on when he wakes for it) is the time we make up for the milk intake, I've not weaned him off it but being 1 is probably better for him. But how do you add the milk in the day when he's reducing the day time milk himself and refuses to eat anymore ? Would like to drop the DF but not entirely sure how. There has been occassions when he's been too tired to eat at night and only taken 2 oz and ends up waking at 3 am or 5 am hungry and refusing to settle until fed. Hence, we've kept the DF for so long. Any suggestions would be most welcomed!   ???

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2006, 04:02:56 am »
I added a little cereal to his bedtime bottle (I know...bad mama) thinking that he might not need the df with those extra calories, but he woke up at 11:00 MAD AS EVER!  We're down to 4 1/2 ounces.  I might try to go down to 3 or 2 tomorrow night

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2006, 20:57:24 pm »
Still going well here, he has woken a few nights but only for a few minutes its his teeth waking him not hunger.
Glee I would start cutting  back on the df every few night by an oz or so, this might make him take a bigger bottle in the mornings if he is a bit more hungry.
Amy take your time weaning him off the df, drop an oz every 3 nights so he has time to adjust, when you get down to 2/3 oz then add an oz into his evening bottle.
Best of luck Taylor

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2006, 22:43:20 pm »
I fell asleep the other night before I could give the df and he woke up like clockwork at 10:30.  Grrrrr....I'm dropping it down to 4 oz tonight.

WHY does he wake up at 5 these days?  I hear that they have more night wakings if there's about to be a developmental milestone....maybe he's about to crawl.  He's trying so hard.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08

Offline Taylor5

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2006, 21:41:30 pm »
Hi Amy
My ds would wake for his df at the same time every night, dh and I would laught saying "does he have a watch up there?" I thought it would be hard to drop the df but it is still going like a dream so far. Ds might be waking if he is hungry can you make his teatime spoon feed a bit bigger? Or make all his spoon feeds a bit bigger as this might help.
Taylor

Offline Critter

• The Dallas 3 Day
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2006, 01:54:03 am »
Well, we've got a double ear infection right now, so we're going to wait a while.  We get tubes next Friday.

Luke 6-10-05
Clay 12-17-08