Author Topic: Dropping feeds when increasing/ introducing solids?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
Dropping feeds when increasing/ introducing solids?
« on: January 04, 2006, 22:39:41 pm »
Hi there,

Red started solids about 3 weeks ago. He has increased his intake pretty rapidly due to a huge 6 month growth spurt!! I am thinking that some time soon we are going to need to drop a feed (he is currently feeding about 6 times a day) and i don't know how to go about this. At the moment he feeds every 3-4 hours, so when i drop a feed this will mean i go 6-8 hours. How can i do this without getting engorged?

Which feed do you recommend dropping first? He feeds as follows:

7-8am - nurses
8-9am - breakfast
11am-12pm - nurses followed by solids
3pm - nurses
5.30pm solids (and often nurses too, but i am working on cutting this one out!)
7pm - nurses
10.30-11pm - nurses.

TIA x
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 02:00:33 am »
You may just let him go for a few more weeks and see what he works out to. That dinnertime feed, like you said, may go. Around 8-9 months that df may drop just fine, maybe earlier. And if you drop those two by 9 months or so you'll be down to 4.

The 2nd time around it was sometimes harder because I knew where I wanted to go (like dropping a feed) but I didn't know how to get there. The first time it was just winging it.  :roll:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline JacobMarksMummy

• Showing Appreciation 38
  • Jacob Mark From Lincolnshire, UK
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 11:48:32 am »
My DS is 2days younger than yours and until about a week ago his routine was just the same. I was under lots of pressure from my health vistor and my MIL (also a health visitor :roll: ) to drop his lunchtime nursing but I just kept thinking well surely if he dosnt need his lunch time nursing he wouldnt ask for it so I thought I would leave it a few weeks longer and see if he would drop it himself. Lo and behold last week at lunchtime he didnt ask  so I didnt offer. I would deffo leave it at least another four weeks and see if he drops a feed himself as Staceys recommends, I dont think it makes much difference wether its lunchtime or teatime.  I hadnt tought about dropping DF yet though its my favourite nursing of the day :D 

As for engorgment I was a little full for a few days but that was it, DS had an extra big mid-afternoon nurse and I dont think he minded that one little bit :wink:

Nome
X
Nome, Mummy to :-
Jacob Mark - 26/04/05
Beatrice Anita 31/10/06