Author Topic: Screaming himslef to sleep  (Read 1055 times)

Offline momofjack2cam

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
    • http://www.geocities.com/babysignclases/
Screaming himslef to sleep
« on: January 05, 2006, 05:27:40 am »
Hi! I am new to the site, but in dire need of help.  I am sorry that I don't know what all the abreviations mean, but I will try my best.  I have a 7 months old who has the worse sleep habits. After reading when everyone else's children go to bed, I feel like a terrible mom!  So here goes the schedule:

(I have to start at night)

10-11pm finally asleep (sleeping a little longer now that we have started to put him on his tummy)
1-5 he will wake anywhere within this time frame to be fed again and put back to sleep (if I can mutter enough energy the sleeping will be don ein his crib, otherwise, with me!)
After the first waking he will wake every 2 hrs there after only to be fed again (this seems to be the only way to get him back to sleep)
Usually we are up and going by 8 (after at least 3 wakings since 10pm)
He is usuially down for his morning nap about 2 hours after we wake for the final time in the AM.  He only sleep for about 30 min (45 if I am lucky)
Then he takes another nap around 1 or 2 after I have fed him and help him while he screams himself to sleep(he is a veryyyy light sleeper) If things are quiet, he may sleep for 1 hr.  He then sleeps again anywhere between 5-7 for a quick cat nap.  He then will not go to sleep till about 10 or 11.  If we have a good night, he will sleep till 5-5:30 but those nights are few and far between.
Any advice would be appreciated!
Katy
Mom of Jackson 3.5 and Cameron 7 mo

http://lilypie.com">Lilypie Baby Ticker" border="0

Offline CharlotteandCharlie

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
  • These moments make my heart sing!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 05:58:38 am »
My goodness I can feel your pain.   :cry:  I have been there myself.  My daughter is 5 months old and I don't consider myself to be a success story but I thought I would share if not to help you feel heard.

Our daughter was telling us for weeks that her bed time was going to be between 7-8.  Poor thing it took her parents a while to catch on.  Perhaps try getting ready for bed around 6:30 - 7 depending on what your routine is.  Ours is about 30 mins.  It seems from what I have read on this forum that it roughly the norm.  A 7-8 bedtime allows you to be a woman, partner, individual again.  I find I don't want to go to sleep at night because the quiet me time is too fantastic to sleep. 

With respect to the light sleeping we have found white noise (radio static, running shower/tap noise you name it) works very well.  Sometimes I think it is more for us than her but once that radio goes on she calms right down and it is easier to pat/shh her if that is what she needs. 

I keep her on a loose EASY schedule which is nice but I am starting to beleive that she knows better than I do and if I pay close enough attention I will catch on to her needs in time.  Poor poor girl.   :lol: Sometime I think I should have another to make up for my mistakes the first time around.
Charlotte mom to
Charlie Anne August 7, 2005
Campbell Rose March 27, 2007
And wife to the man of my dreams.

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 20:28:14 pm »
Hi Katy! I am sorry that you and your lo are having a hard time. I would be in the same spot (some days I am) if I hadnt read the BW books. Do you have them? The first one is great (you wont be able to put it down), and the second goes into more detail. You have got to get them! In the mean time there is plenty of reading material on this site. I would start with Tracy's sleep interview (at sleep forum), EASY material (EASY forum), and Pick up Put down info. (PU/PD Forum).

Although my son is much younger than you lo, I can offer some important info. which I have learned. Dont be alarmed though this stuff takes time. You will get there :D

1. For the next few days I would keep a log (real detailed one) of eating, sleeping, and activities. Then look it over to see if you can see patterns emerging. This will help you keep track of changes too.

2. We need to find out how much sleep your lo requires. According to BW at you lo's age is 12 hrs of night sleep and 2 naps daily. One nap of 1 hour and another 1 hour 15 min. These are just apx. time frames. Here is where it gets tricky... if your lo gets more day/night than they will switch things around and be up, and if they are lacking at night/day they will be overtired and will have a hard time sleeping :roll: I know it almost a catch 22. I still struggle with this.

3. As for when your lo should eat I am not sure as I have yet to experience solid food yet, so I dont know how this comes to play. However there is an excellent forum for eating.

4. It is also real important to establish a nap and bedtime routine. Something that is real low key and consistent. This is real important as babies need routine and love to know what is coming next. This also cues them to sleep. I would make the nap and bedtime routine a little different, so she will learn the difference (I am also working on this).

5. Make sure the sleeping environment is conducive. You said your lo is a light sleeper, and you are using white (great!). Darkening the room is also a great way to block out stimulation. I for instance, take down the mobile, darken the room, use white noise, and swaddle to get the room ready for sleeping, but my son is 4 mths old. Does you daughter have lovey or special stuffed animal? I am just brainstorming as I am not familiar with 7 mth olds yet.

6. To make changes, you will need to employ the pu/pd method as your lo will protest. I have not done this yet either, but there is a whole board dedicated to this. Also, Tracy has an excellent plan to establish a routine for little ones.

I hope something helps. I think this enough info. to start. :wink:  Just take it one day at time. You are on the right track coming to this site. The admin, mods, and parents are fantastic! Good luck to you, and if I can help further just let me know!

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 21:08:39 pm »
Oh, one more thing. If you pack in all of your lo's calories (oz/food) during the day, the likelyhood of them waking during the middle of the night diminishes. For example, my son requires between 25-30ish oz per day for his weight and age, so I keep track and make sure he gets them during the day. Again I am not familar with the eating habits of a 7 mth old, but there are plenty of gals at this site that are. I think you said you were BF, if so there is a BF forum too! You got to love this site!

HTH
Alice