Author Topic: Eczema baby gets weird hives  (Read 2230 times)

Offline LukasMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Eczema baby gets weird hives
« on: January 05, 2006, 06:35:37 am »
DD is at risk for allergies and we know she has eczema.  The eczema is well-managed with daily baths, using no soap and gentle detergent, and keeping her moisturized.  However, lately she has been having hive outbreaks.  Usually it is on a wrist where she has problems with eczema anyway.  I kind of expect that.  But the other day it was on her ankles for no apparent reason.  She pointed to her slipper and said "Tay ah" and I figured out she wanted to take off the slipper.  When I did I got a shock.
Both her ankles were covered with hives in the front.  She had been wearing these little polyester slippers that have never caused her problems in the past.  I know--polyester is bad for eczema.  But I swear they have never caused her any problems.  Now all of a sudden--hives!
I guess my question is for parents who have had experience with eczema.  Did you find that your child would just suddenly react to things that were never a problem before?
What about polyester and heat? Could this be the bad combination that caused it?  Maybe her feet just got too hot?
And after reacting, did your child continue to have the same problem repeatedly, or did it stop being a problem? 
I'm trying to figure out if she needs to avoid those slippers, or all polyester, or if we have unearthed a new allergy, or what is going on here.   
Feel free to give advice or share experiences, etc.

"I don't understand your crazy moon language!" --The Tick

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 18:36:08 pm »
With my own personal excema issue, polyester and heat are NOT a good combo!! Yes, things DO just appear out of nowhere for me sometimes.

However, most of the time, it's due to a reaction to a new food in my system which causes the breakout, or a new perfume, laundry detergent, cleaning chemical, etc.
Have you switched her laundry detergent?  Any new foods?  Just a couple of thoughts!

I'd avoid those slippers of course :wink:  At the very least, sure sounds like they are irritating her!!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

stasztk

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 19:36:25 pm »
I would say it is from the dry weather. Tristan's eczema flares up about now too.

Offline LukasMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
She had some more
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 20:49:26 pm »
This morning she had some on her chest and she went to bed in polyester pajamas.  I think you're right, it's the polyester / heat combination.  However, these are really THICK polyester pajamas that her Grandma gave her for Christmas.  She's always been fine with the thin ones, so I think we'll switch back to those.
And yes, the slippers are being passed on to the little girl we give all her outgrown clothes to--hopefully she doesn't have a problem with them!  :wink:
I hope we don't have to avoid ALL polyester because 1/2 her clothes are made of it.  However, it hasn't been a problem in the past.  It's only that really thick stuff, and only if she sleeps in it.
It has also been dryer in the house because of the heater, that's probably also a factor.  !!!

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 22:04:27 pm »
Liv has come out twice in the past when she has overheated. I would say that would be a likely culprit.

Sara

Offline LukasMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Hivey
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 23:44:16 pm »
She's been hivey now for several days.  I think once she starts hiving, it's hard to stop.  I've stopped putting polyester on her.  Today I don't think she had one hive, so it's probably improving.   :)