Author Topic: Sudden going to bed drama  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Heather Walters

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 05, 2006, 06:45:19 am »
We have been blessed with a textbook, slightly angel like child, and until now have had very few problems.  Our daughter Taylor will no longer go down for a nap or bedtime for us.  Previously she fell asleep on her own, maybe needing an extra hug on occasion.  8 days ago she began telling us she "hurt" but can't tell us where.  I tried ibuprophene, wich seemed effective and after 2 nights and days of this took her to the Doctor, thinking maybe I had overlooked an ear infection or something else.  The doctor said she was fine, maybe her immune system was fighting a virus, to give her ibuphopene and rock her to sleep for a few nights.  The following nights and naps she not only insisted that she hurt, but hungry, thirsty, needs to potty, anything to not go to bed.  After being sure nothing is wrong and trying again, she wails when we put her down (we take turns) and calms only when picked up.  If we don't pick her up the wailing becomes stronger and more difficult to calm.  The last 4 nights/days has come to the point of being rocked to sleep after more than an hour.  The ONLY thing that has been different in our lives is that I am 22 wk. preg.  The last couple nights my DH has had to tackle it himself, as I have began having severe pain in my abdomen.  I feel awful I can't help more, but cuddle her as much as I can otherwise.  Please help!

Offline Heather Walters

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 15:43:54 pm »
P.S. she is 21 months old

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
Sudden going to bed drama
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 16:44:38 pm »
Unfortunately it sounds like she might have just figured out how to stall at bedtime...my dd got this at around that age and still does it from time to time.  We just had to be firm with our routine over and over.  Yes, there was crying involved, but if we didn't just do the routine and leave, she wouldn't let us leave at all (she won't fall asleep when rocked or anything else, just when alone and in her bed).  I know it sounds harsh, but she got it after about 2 days.  Now I wouldn't do this straight away of course and I'm not saying cry it out exactly.  It's more of a go in and go out after 10 seconds of crying, reassuring her that it's bedtime and time to go to sleep.  I know others will respond with more details about it cause I know others here have had to use it.  It sort of a toddler version of pick up /put down and can also be found in Tracy's sleep interview at the top of any of the sleep forums.  Check it out.  It's basically letting them know that it's bedtime by leaving and yet reasurring them by returning within 5 or 10 seconds.  Say the same thing every time.  Of course you also need to make sure you've covered all your bases when putting her to bed such as thirsty, potty, etc.  Good luck!

Offline sea lily

• Showing Appreciation 0
SAME HERE!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 01:01:51 am »
i could kiss you, i really could.  to know that i am not the only person in the world going through this makes me feel a million times better.  my 19 1/2 month old started this 1 week ago.  he used to be the BEST sleeper.  just a hug, kiss and he would lay down and go to sleep.  now he SCREAMS hysterical MAMA MAMA.  like i am torturing him!  then, a couple days ago he was so hysterical he leaped out of his crib, so i went and got a crib tent and now i have to zip him up!  it is so hard.  i am on my second day of pu/pd.  it is not going well.  day one was fine, but this afternoon it took me 2 hours to get him to sleep for 30 minutes.  please let me know your status and i will also keep you posted!