Author Topic: Logistics of transporting frozen milk, advice needed!  (Read 994 times)

Offline RebeccaH

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Logistics of transporting frozen milk, advice needed!
« on: January 05, 2006, 08:58:36 am »
My dh is hoping to take the little fella away for away for three nights to Germany. It's no problem for me to express and freeze enough milk however we're unsure of how to organise the whole thing. Once b/m is defrosted how long can it be stored in a fridge? The easiest thing is for him to take all the milk in a cool bag and put it in the fridge as soon as they arrive (the whole travelling should only take about 4 hours) but I don't know if that's possible. Any suggestions please?!

Offline alison reed

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 12:54:32 pm »
Hi thier

If your put the frozen breastmilk into seperate bags and then put them into the cool bag with about 6 large freezer blocks which you put into the freezer 3 days before your husband intents on traveling with the little fella then the milk will stay frozen so they can go back into a freezer at the destination of stay as breast milk has to be used with in 24 hours of it defrosting.  1 large freezer block leave things frozen for 2 hours but I always say that the cold the bag is the better as there is no chance of the milk defrosting also it would depend on when they go away. In the summer I would use 12 large freezer blocks. I know it sounds over the top but unless you go with them then this is the only way the 3 day trip can go a head is if you go over the top with freezer blocks.

I hope this is useful and I hope you enjoy time as my husband would never do this for me. He would only take my daughter out for 2 hours on his own incase she needed her nappy changed. But then the other day he had her for 2 1/2 hours the other day.
Alison

mother of two:

Offline RebeccaH

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 13:24:06 pm »
Thanks Alison that's great advice. I agree totally with the over cautious freezer block idea. Also thank you for saying that about my husband, I don't really see it myself and probably take him far too much for granted. This morning baby wouldn't sleep past 6 and we were determined to start the day (E) at 7 so he took him out in the buggy to sleep, apparently he circled around a deserted station as it was the only warm place to be! Bless him!