Author Topic: A few problems  (Read 1052 times)

Offline swub

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
A few problems
« on: January 05, 2006, 09:51:10 am »
I have a 4 week old daughter who has been somewhat exhausting, since birth but seems to be getting worse.

The main issue is getting her to bed on a night. She sleeps in her moses basket at the side of my bed. She starts screaming between 8pm and 10pm and carries on until she's asleep, which is rarely before 2am. The other night it was 5:35am!

She does seem to get an upset tummy on a night and is on gripe water.

She's also very clingy. If I put her down at any point day or night she cries hysterically. I'm breastfeeding and she wants to be latched on 24/7 whether she's feeding or not. If she comes off the crying starts again.

When she finally goes to sleep she will often sleep for 7 hours so that's great, but if I could get her down without the stress on both sides it would be fantastic.

Can anybody help?

Sarah
>

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
A few problems
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 16:40:45 pm »
It sounds like your LO has gas problems as well as is maybe over tired.
For the gas try Oval. It worked really well for my LO. If it doesn't work for you talk to your DR or phamasist and they can recomend other treatments.
It also sounds like she might be useing you a soother. Have you you tried to give her a paci? If you deside to do it try to find one thats similar to your breast and it'll be easier for your LO.
Now for your sleep at night something I used alone with the EASY routine;
Swaddle your LO, place them on there side facing you, give her a soother, swing her by rocking, and shhhhh to her (or sing softly just enough so she hears your voice)  Make sure when you lay her down facing you she isn't in front of the breast, and a BF baby she'll try to latch if she's to close nd you don't want that. You don't want to be the soother.
Once you have her calmed down try laying her back down. Sometimes it can take a while but with a bit of persistence and patience it'll worrk.
This was how I did PUPD (pick up put down) for my LO it was the best way for me to cut of the outside stimulation and help her settle herself. It also helps to make there tummies more comfortable when they're on there side.  By putting them down when they calm it helps them to learn to sleep on there own.
I'd recomend you try instating a routine for your LO right away and you'll hopfully see a difference soon.
Its really hard having  a colicy baby but with a lot of love, some persistence, and some patients you'll do fine.
Be encoraged that your doing the best that you can do.
Doing the this when your LO is gassy, really builds a strong bond, and trust for your LO who learns that you are there for them.
After a while you'll find that you no longer have to do this, and you have a stronger happier baby.

HTH
Kimberly

Offline swub

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
A few problems
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 21:55:12 pm »
Thanks. There are some great ideas there.

We have tried giving Hannah a pacifier but she's not keen and won't take it from me at all. We keep trying but she screams until she's back on my breast. She's making me really sore now.

Can I ask where you got your baby counter from?

Sarah
>

Offline RyansMum

• Showing Appreciation 138
  • Minecraft mad!
A few problems
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 22:44:52 pm »
Hi if it is gas we used Infacol for our lo when he was smaller rather than Gripe water which we now use as he is older.

Offline Kimberly®

• Showing Appreciation 126
A few problems
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 22:52:50 pm »
Quote from: swub
Thanks. There are some great ideas there.

We have tried giving Hannah a pacifier but she's not keen and won't take it from me at all. We keep trying but she screams until she's back on my breast. She's making me really sore now.

Can I ask where you got your baby counter from?

Sarah

Some LO's fight the pasifier, I think you may need to keep trying till you find one that works. Thats why you need one like your own nipple so they may take it more easily. If nothing else works use a finger even, just try not to let your breast become the pasifier, that'll cause more problems then it solves. I'm not an expert with Paci's as my LO never resisted it and now no longer uses it. Or at least rarely. I'm sure someone else here could help you. Just keep trying I would guess.

As for my baby counter I got it at lilypie. If you click on my counter it'll take you to the sight and you can make your own. :)
Kimberly