Author Topic: Does she still need a night feed?  (Read 941 times)

Offline Rachel's Mum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.teamfluffy.com/baby
Does she still need a night feed?
« on: January 05, 2006, 11:50:30 am »
I hope this is in the right forum - I really debated about whether this was a solids post, a nightwakings post, or an EASY post!  I figured it would be best here, because I know breast milk is digested differently, and I'm sure I've seen some posts from Mums suggesting that their older babies are still waking for a night feed.

Rachel is 6.5 months, and weighs about 17lb.
Our current routine is as follows:

7am wake and bf
8.30am solids
9am nap (45 mins)
11am bf
12.30pm solids
1pm nap (1.5 hours)
3pm bf
4.30pm solids
5pm nap (20 mins)
7pm bf and bed
11pm bf

We have been trying to convice her to go without a feed from 11pm til 7am, but have not had a huge amount of success.

If she wakes at around 2am or before, we can settle her really very easily with a sip of water and a pat on the head.  We've only been doing this for a few days, and already she is happy to chatter herself to sleep afterwards.

If she wakes closer to 3am though she settles again with water, but not quite so happily, and normally wakes up again within 10 minutes. This to me suggests hunger, and so I have been feeding her.  But surely she is now eating enough during the day with three solid meals?

She has only been on solids for a few weeks, but has taken to them really well.  She's eating about 2 ice cubes worth at each meal.

I'm not concerned about her milk intake during the day - staggering feeding the solids has made sure that she takes a really good breastfeed at each sitting (although I can't measure it of course - I'm sure she's taking about 4-5oz at each feed - that's what I can pump).

Thoughts and comments would be gratefully appreciated.  Is this because she isn't getting quite enough from the solids yet as she's still getting used to it?  I'm happy to carry on feeding her at night if you think she needs it - it settles her much quicker than PU/PD!

As always, thanks in advance for help and advice - and please move this post if you think it would be better suited elsewhere!

Offline alison reed

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Does she still need a night feed?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 12:12:00 pm »
Hi their Rachels mom.

Just a quick well done with feeding this long and not giving up keep going as Rachel seems to enjoy the special bond you both have will breastfeed.

Also at 61/2 months most babies still need one or two breastfeeds in the night as they are digesting all the goodness out of the solids properly just yet. Also weel done on getting her to take somuch solids in such a sort time off weaning on to solids.

My 14 month old is still breastfeed and wakes once some nights for a feed depending on how long after her family dinner and how activy she has been after dinner and how much breast milk she takes for her bedtime feed.

Keep up with the breastfeeding and she will tell you when she is ready to stop night feeding.
Alison

mother of two: