Author Topic: Does this pat-shush thing really work??  (Read 1018 times)

Offline lizbui

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Does this pat-shush thing really work??
« on: January 05, 2006, 22:04:21 pm »
My daughter is 2 weeks old and we have been trying the pat-shush thing for the past week.  It doesn't always seem to work.  Sometimes it seems that it makes her even more annoyed.  Does anyone think that it is too early to start this method??  I just don't think she has the capacity to understand what we are trying to do and it just makes her more hysterical lying if the bassinett.

Can someone tell me what has worked for them?  I've read the interview with Tracy about a thousand times, and still can't seem to get it to work.  Sometimes, after I've swaddled her she seems even more mad and I can't even begin to spend a little time with her before I have to start the whole pat shush thing.

We are going mad!!
Please help

Offline Jaime

• Queen of the Wicker People
  • Administrator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 941
    • Laughable Lunacy
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 01:20:20 am »
it does work if you stick with it.  how long it takes depends on the baby.  i think my dd had it in under 2 weeks; ds took quite a bit longer.   :roll:

you mainly use it when they start fussing that they can't go to sleep.  if you can pop her in & she will just drift off, you don't need to do pat/shhh.  at 2 weeks, if she's crying a lot when you go to put her down, chances are you waited too long to put her down.  try shorteneing her A time by about 15-20 minutes and see if that helps.  :D
Jaime
~~~
DD - Textbook
DS - Touchy/Grumpy

Offline estherofi20

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 03:22:05 am »
hi there :D , i know what you are going through, my DS is now 10 WO and i can tell you that he finally stopped needing the pat-shus metod about two weeks ago, i just put him in his crib swaddled and he allready knows he is going to sleep, but it was eigth weeks of hard work with the pat-shus metod. Please try to stick with it (i know its a hard time :lol: ) but for sure ĦIt will work for you too!!!!
good luck and let me know how it goes!! :D