Author Topic: Do we have to change naps and nightsleeping at the same time  (Read 1034 times)

Offline melbatarseh

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Do we have to change naps and nightsleeping at the same time
« on: January 05, 2006, 22:17:12 pm »
I'm pretty sure that my 6 month old dd's night wakings are due to the fact that she falls asleep at bedtime swaddled and with the pacifier.  Eventually, the swaddle comes loose, the pacifier falls out, and she can't remedy either situation.  So she's awake, and doesn't know how to go back to sleep without being swaddled and sucking.

She also goes to sleep for naps this way.  At nap time it's not a big deal because I can replace paci easily (which is rarely necessary anyway), and she doesn't move around enough in a 2 hour nap to become unswaddled.

So I think I need to help her break swaddle and paci habit in order for her to sleep through the night.  My question is, do I have to change naptime and bedtime sleep associations at the same time for this to work?  Could I just work on changing naptime first, because that is less stressful (and I'm not up in the middle of the night), and continue to swaddle and paci at night so that I know she'll sleep at least some, and I can sleep?  If I get really sleep deprived (as I have in the past with her), then I just can't cope and I get depressed, and don't have the stamina to work on changes.  So if I get her to nap with no swaddle and paci, then I could move onto changing bedtime.  Or will this make no sense to her?  Will she not be able to make the change at naptime if I keep reinforcing the habit at bedtime and during the night?

Thanks
Mother of Isabella, born July 9, 2005

Offline Glynis

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 22:36:50 pm »
I can't say from experience, but I would think that would confuse her & make it even more frustrating.  I had to break my guy off of nursing to sleep (used pu/pd) & I did both at the same time, naps & bedtime.
Mom to Samuel born Aug 17, 2005
& big brother Brett July 11, 1993

Offline Susie-Q

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 19:38:48 pm »
I rocked/fed my son to sleep for forever.  When I tried to break him of it, I just started with nights only.  He didn't seem to "get it" until I stopped rocking him to sleep with his naps also.   Once I put him in his crib awake for both naps and night, he "got it" within 2 or 3 days.

Offline melbatarseh

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 22:54:57 pm »
Wow, 2 or 3 days sounds really good!  How old was he and what method did you use?
Mother of Isabella, born July 9, 2005

Offline Glynis

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 16:42:58 pm »
Samuel is 4 1/2 months old & he took under a week, though he still has the odd time when he cries & fusses more.  Honestly, I think that's my fault, not getting him to bed soon enough.
Mom to Samuel born Aug 17, 2005
& big brother Brett July 11, 1993