Author Topic: Do they become less sleep sensitive as toddlers?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline julieb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
Do they become less sleep sensitive as toddlers?
« on: January 05, 2006, 23:38:59 pm »
My 11 mo DS is very touchy when it comes to his sleep.  All conditions have to be JUST RIGHT in order for him to sleep well.  We have a very dark room, sound machine, luvies, etc, etc, etc.  We tiptoe around his room and refrain from turning on any lights so they don't show under the door crack or a/c vent!  :lol:   We're crazy!!  :lol:   All in the name of sleep!

Lately he seems to have become even more sensitive to sounds.  He been woken by DH's morning shower twice in a row.  This has happened in the past too.  I'm about ready to make DH shower in the other bathroom! 

Will this ever end?  Do they get easier in sleep as toddlers?
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

Offline kim&savannah

• Showing Appreciation 80
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 00:15:39 am »
I also have a very sensitive DD who has never been a great sleeper, but I can say that over the last 6 months or so (she's 18 months now), she has started to sleep better and sleep through noises that would have woken her for sure before.  I think they do start to sleep deeper, although it probably still depends on what stage of sleep they are in when the noise happens. 

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline Stacie:Emma&Josh Mom

• Showing Appreciation 11
  • USA/Texas/Austin
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 00:31:49 am »
My dd's sleep patterns also changed randomly when it came to wakings due to noise.  She'd got through a couple of weeks of waking to dh's showers and then sleep through them again.  Hang in there!  Just when you get used to it, it will change...

Offline Kitsmom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 00:48:43 am »
Good news ladies.  My dd was a very VERY light sleeper.  My husband and I wouldn't flush the toilet when she was sleeping.  We also opened soda cans outside and coughed and sneezed into pillows. :roll:   

I noticed that her sleep got deeper when she was around 16-18 months.  Now she sleeps through any normal noise.  Thank heaven that my son sleeps deeper.  :)

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 02:14:55 am »
Kitsmom - don't feel badly, we did ALL of those things!!!

And heaven forbid should dh open the drawer in the fridge that stuck and was loud - he got b!tched out by me, AFTER I pulled him into the garage!!! :shock: lol

Oh well, the things you do!!!  I certainly won't be doing that with the next one!!  I'll just use white noise (a fan!) from the start!!

Normal noise sleeping happened around a year at my house.  Really, everything seemed to get better around a year!!!  (sleep-wise).
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 02:17:36 am »
I can't answer if it gets better as DD is only 5 months old. She sleeps through almost anything from 8pm -midnight - including loud sirens (we live in NYC). But come 2-3 am (and during naps) and all bets are off. Some mornings I swear she even hears DH's alarm at 5:30 am - which isn't physically possible.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01