Author Topic: Trying to transition to a 4 hour schedule and struggling!  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Barnosky

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Trying to transition to a 4 hour schedule and struggling!
« on: January 06, 2006, 00:02:49 am »
I am new to this sight and have searched everywhere for a posting that fits my dilemma.  My son is 15 weeks old today and I think he is showing signs that his schedule needs to be changed but I'm not sure how to go about doing it.  Here is his present schedule.  (I tired to follow the example in the newest book but it got really confusing.)

7am Wake/Feed
7:20 - 8:30 Activity Time
8:30 - 10:15 Sleep
10:15 Wake/Feed
10:35 - 12:00 Activity Time
12:00 - 1:30 Sleep
1:30 Wake/Feed
1:50 - 3:00 Activity Time
3:00 - 4:45 Sleep
4:45 Wake/Feed
5:00 - 6:15 Activity Time
6:15 - 7:00 Cat Nap
7:15 Feed (usually wakes up from cat nap on his own)
7:30 - 8:00pm bath time
8:00 Bed time

Okay, this schedule has been working great but now he seems to be waking up throughout the night (was sleeping through the night at 10 weeks) and only sleeping in 45 minutes increments during his naps.  He is an incredibly sleepy baby and keeping him awake for those few hours throughout the day is already tough.  How do I go about getting him on a 4 hour schedule?  Should I just try and do it all at once?  Or work in 15 minute increments over a 3 day period?

Any help would be greatly appretiated!   :D

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 15:33:21 pm »
Hello  :D

You may have already checked this post, but if not, it may help with some of the confusion from the book and if you need to transition.

http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/3-4hr-transition-plan-on-page-230-vt41061.html

If switching to a 4 hr has created nightwakings, I would probably switch back to the former routine for the time being.  It may be a sign that he's not quite ready yet.

HTH  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 15:41:08 pm »
I agree with Noelle.  If he is still taking full feedings at the times you have listed, and still needing all of his naps, it doesn't appear that he is ready for a 4 hour schedule.  And that's okay.  My dd wasn't ready until closer to 5 months.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Barnosky

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 16:28:49 pm »
Thanks for the tips.  The hardest part I'm having is trying to keep him awake.  Today he only lasted 1hr 15 min and he was almost asleep in my arms.  So should I take that as a sign he is not ready to extend?  His feedings are so-so.  He tries to stick his fingers in his mouth (while feeding) but he'll do anything as long as it has to do with sucking  :D And come to think of it, his night awakenings started to occur more frequently when I switched his schedule from 3 hour to 3.25.  Maybe I'll wait to see when he becomes more alert and then start the transition.

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 16:42:18 pm »
Sounds like you are doing a great job and are reading your baby well.  I have a friend with a baby who requires lots of daytime sleep.  Some babies are just more sleepy.  As long as he's healthy and happy, you're doing all that you should.   :)   Keep us posted.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Barnosky

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 16:44:51 pm »
I will, thanks  :D