Author Topic: How long should they nap?  (Read 1151 times)

Offline jmcinnes

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
How long should they nap?
« on: January 06, 2006, 00:29:30 am »
I have been using p/u p/d to try to extend nap time.  Spirited DD will usually sleep for 45 mins, then most of the time I am doing p/u p/d with her crying the rest of the sleep period.  Then I get her up b/c it is time for the next feed.  She is usually awake at that point, and per Tracy's advice I take her back in for a nap 30-45 mins after her feed.  The question is how long should she nap at that point.  A full 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or should she just be making up the lost 45 mins from the previous nap?
Jennifer

Offline Caroline-Charlies Mummy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 315
  • Charles Arthur 23rd March 2005
    • Twitter
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 01:12:17 am »
Hello,

Could you give us a little more detail on your dd's routine, please? Also, how old is she, etc? We'll see if there's something there that can help.

Also, to extend naps, pu/pd might not be the best tool, especially if she is young and/or spirited (it used to wind my ds up :roll: ). Have you tried wake to sleep instead? If you need help with this, try having a look at the announcements and stickys at the top of this forum. I think they might be of some use to you.

HTH
Caroline :)

"Mama exhorted her children at every opportunity to 'jump at de sun.' We might not land on the sun, but at least we would get off the ground." -- Zora Neale Hurston

Offline jmcinnes

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 03:31:29 am »
Hi Caroline,

This is long so bear with me, and thank you in advance for your advice.

My DD is almost 6 months old.  I had read Tracy's books when I was pregnant, but failed at implementing EASY after bringing her home from the hospital.  Breastfeeding was a nightmare and I could never get her on a good routine.  So, accidental parenting at it's best occured, and she turned into a snacker and a catnapper and at 5 months was still waking to feed once to twice a night.  So, a week and a half ago, I reread and decided to implement the 7 day plan.   I am proud to say that I have turned my snacker into a feeder and she slept through the last two nights.  She is also falling asleep independently at naps and bedtime. 

She decided to give up her paci on her own during all of this (which she really only used at nap time to relax - I always took it before laying her down because it became a prop) and she hasn't used her paci in over a week.

That's a lot of change for 11 days!

So, she has made TREMENDOUS progress, but we have been unsuccessful at breaking the 45 min. naps (although she has taken a longer nap or two randomly).  The last couple days, I have been trying to do less stimulating activities, so that she doesn't wear out so easy.  As I'm sure you know, spirited babies like to always be busy!  I know overstimulation can be a problem.

Her current schedule is as follows:

7am Wake and feed (bottle)
        Activity
8:15am Breakfast (solids)
         Activity
9am Sleep
11am Bottle
          Activity
12:15p Lunch (solids)
          Activity
1p Sleep
3p Bottle
      Activity
4:30 or 5p Catnap (about 45 mins)
   Activity
5:30 -6p Dinner (solids)
6:45 Bath, Bottle, In bed by 7:30p
(Have tried to incorporate a book into our bedtime ritual, but she is usually too exhausted to sit for more than a page or two).
10:45p Dream Feed

I have not tried wake to sleep.  I am almost afraid to.  I keep thinking I might disturb her when she fianlly decides to take a longer nap.

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Thank you!
Jennifer

Offline jmcinnes

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 03:32:25 am »
P.S.  She has learned to sit up recently as well
Jennifer

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 05:39:47 am »
Hi Jennifer,
WOW, DD has taken huge leaps in the last 2 weeks, and so have you!  Congratulatins to you both!
First, keep in mind that it can take up to 2 weeks for her internal body clock to get readjusted to all the new scheduling and routine, and sincce she is progressing on so many things at once, she may just need a little more time to get the hang of it.  Also, if she has always been a 45 minute napper, her body is really going to need the extra time to adjust.

A couple of Q's:
1. Is DD falling asleep independently, especially at naptimes?  Can you put her down wide awake (although tired of course) and leave the room?
2. On 2 hours of A time, does she seem exhausted?  Do you think you could stretch her out a wee bit more?  Just thinking that at 6 months Taylor was a little over 2 hours A time, so maybe she just needs a little more A time to really get her body in the mood for a good nap!   :wink:  Just a thought though...first tell me how she does after 2 hours.  We don't want an overtired baby on our hands!

Please fill us in a bit more and we'll see what we can come up with.

Congratulations again!  You are doing great!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline jmcinnes

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 15:05:56 pm »
Hi Andrea,

In response to your questions,

1.  Yes, she is consistently falling asleep independently at both bedtime and naps.  (This is something that we accomplished during the change)

2.  Yes, she is pooped out after 2 hours of A time.  When I try to keep her up, I end up with an overtired baby.  Sometimes she can only go 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hrs.

Any suggestions on helping with extending naps would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jennifer

Offline jmcinnes

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 15:12:12 pm »
Do you think it would be of any benefit to try to move her bedtime up to 7p and to try to extend her A time in the morning?
Jennifer

Offline jmcinnes

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 15:30:18 pm »
And, yes, she has always been a 45 min napper.
Jennifer

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 23:29:59 pm »
HI Jennifer,

Hmmm...My first thought is that she is still adjusting her body clock.  So perhaps after a few more days or week she will adjust on her own.  Especially since she is falling asleep independently (bravo BTW!  :D ), it is only a matter of time for it to all fall into place.

Regarding the routine, since you say that after 2 hours she is very tired, then perhaps let her fall asleep after 1.75 hours A time in the morning and 2 hours A time in the afternoon.  Many babies have to do a shorter morning A time than afternoon A time (my lo included).  So  perhaps she is getting overtired right off the bat, so with a shorter A time the morning nap may then lengthen, and then will be on track for the rest of the day.  So then to answer your question, I would not try to lengthen mornign A time at this point.

You could definitely try an earlier bedtime.  I read another popular sleep book and that is his commom remedy for short naps.

Whatever you decide to try, be it leaving it alone to see if it works out on its own, the earluer bedtime, or shortening morning A time, give it at least 3-5 days.  That is the minimum amount of time before you will see results.

HTH!
ANdrea
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07