Author Topic: help - not sleeping required hours???  (Read 894 times)

Offline Carolyn R

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Nathan at 6 months
help - not sleeping required hours???
« on: January 06, 2006, 05:54:00 am »
Hi,

I have a 4 month old boy (20lbs) and we are following the EASY plan which has been going great, except now he will not nap as suggested.

His morning nap is good 9-10:30

afternoon nap, he'll sleep for 40 minutes and we spend the rest doing shush-pat and pu/pd. Then he's exhausted by feed time and even more cranky by next sleep time.

It is down hill from there - he will not sleep more than 40 minutes after that. Tonight I put him in his crib 7:30. He slept for about 40 minutes and was awake until 10:00.  I kept him in his crib and decided not to fight with him or make him sleep. He played until he fell asleep. He was happy and smiling.

So my question is  - do I just let him not sleep the "required hours" since he is not yawning or tired, or should I keep trying to make him sleep?

We've been doing this for 2 weeks now and he's been fighting every step of the way. :shock:

HE is both touchy and spirited. I've changed play time and toys to less invasive as well as less stimulating toys.

Any thoughts are appreciated!!!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
help - not sleeping required hours???
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 06:16:06 am »
Required sleep is an average, some babies will sleep longer & some shorter... so if he is happy & gaining weight then he is probably getting what his reguirements are. My neice was/is always about 2 hours less than the average & at 3yo only sleeps 10 hours & is hardly ever not happy... some people can survive on less sleep, so can some babies
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05