Author Topic: what's happening? Was EASY until this week!?!  (Read 907 times)

Offline jacs

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
what's happening? Was EASY until this week!?!
« on: January 06, 2006, 06:17:13 am »
Hi all
was wondering if you could maybe offer some advice. My DD who is almost 5 wks old has been on EASY since day 1. She was doing fine with it initially, would feed about every 3 hrs during the day, 2-2.5 hrs early evening and go anywhere from 3-4.5 hrs at night between feeds. Would also settle down fairly easily for her nap, might take the 20min but once she was asleep she would nap for at least 1.5-2 hrs (sometimes I'd have to wake her!) But this week everything has changed...

We had a shocker on Mon night - she wouldn't settle to go to sleep, very fussy all night. Tues she started feeding every 2-2.5 hrs during the day.. same Wed day and Thurs day. Tues & Wed night she fed about every 3-4 hrs. Last night she fed every 2.5 hr and has been feeding today every 2-3 hrs. When we try to put her down for her nap, it always takes the full 20min sometimes longer. We're putting her down as soon as we see tired cues, but right now she's yawning all the time - waking up, during feeds, after feeds. The only stimulation she has after a feed is a nappy change & maybe a cuddle with mum or dad. She fights going down for a nap. Then she wakes up constantly throughout the nap... we're lucky if she manages to sleep for 30min straight. Sometimes she wakes up because of a big possit or because of wind.. she'll either do a big burp or fart.. but other times I have no idea why she could be waking up. By the time she finally gets to sleep, she's almost due for her next feed.

She seems to feed quite well. Sometimes she gets fussy & normally it's because she needs to burp or poo. She's taking full feeds every meal, on average around 20min on the breast, draining one & sometimes having some of the other. She's a pretty efficient sucker.

Is this a growth spurt? If so, how long will this last? If not, what else could it be??

thanks for any advice you can offer! (from a very confused & exhausted mum)  :(

jacqui

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
what's happening? Was EASY until this week!?!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 19:32:39 pm »
It really sounds like a growth spurt. They can last anywhere from 24 hrs to a week (and sometimes longer if a mom doesn't go with it).

Do your best to rest when she naps during the day. Sometimes a sling can help an overtired baby nap while you can get up and moving. I used to go to bed at 8pm when my ds did so I could get sleep during his longest stretch.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies