Author Topic: please help is this normal ?????  (Read 1407 times)

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
please help is this normal ?????
« on: January 06, 2006, 10:58:44 am »
My LO is now 17 weeks old she is quite small for her age weighing only 12lb 90z. She is in a four hour easy routine but recently has cut back on her intake of milk. She was breastfed until before christmas and then decided she much preferred the bottle. She has reflux and her daily intake and routine is as follows:

night feed 4am taking anywhere between 4-7oz
wake up at 7.00am- will not take bottle till 8am
8am bottle- 3-4oz
11am bottle- 3-4oz
3pm bottle -3-4oz
7pm bottle 3-4oz
dreamfeed 11pm - 4-6oz

i cannot get anymore into her no matter what i do. She has started to show an interest in the food we eat, any ideas as to how to get her to eat more so she might go a little longer at night and whether or not we should start solids with a bit of baby rice???
Amelie Grace's mum

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 12:54:11 pm »
Hi Kezia

The recommendation now it only to start solids at 6 months old. I started giving my DD some baby rice at about 4.5 months though because she was a hungry baby and has started noticing what we were eating.

You can try with the baby rice and if she doesn't take to it then stop and try again in a month or so.

As for getting more formula into her - babies will eat when they're hungry and stop when they're full. It could just be that she doesn't have a big appetite or because she's small has a small stomach so can't hold so much at once. As long as she's gaining weight okay then I wouldn't worry about that too much.

HTH

love
Marie

Offline Taylor5

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 22:50:14 pm »
Hi Kezia
What size teat do you use? Are you still using a slow flow? If you are using a slow flow teat she my be getting tired during the feed from over sucking! If you are using a med flow teat well it might be that she isnt a big grubber..... my ds would lick the milk off the floor at half the chance.
Oh my friend has a 18month old who is only 18Ibs and not mad into food so some babies/kids are just a bit fussy
Best of luck with the feeding
Taylor

Offline kezzi78

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 17:09:57 pm »
have tried the baby rice which she loves, still fighting the bottle even with fast teat. hasnt put any weight on this week at all which is worrying
Amelie Grace's mum

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 19:04:45 pm »
Try slotting in an extra evening feed by doing one at 6 and one at 8 as a dreamfeed as well as the normal dreamfeed.
Jenny