Author Topic: Advice needed re dream feed please  (Read 977 times)

Offline karfow

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 06, 2006, 11:15:53 am »
Hi - I am introducing my ds to solids and he is doing really well - am just about to introduce his third meal and he's eating a fair amount each time.
DS is 24 weeks on saturday so we started a few weeks early but he is a big baby.
He currently has 2 X 8oz & 2 x 9oz bottles a day with breakfast and lunch/pudding and has a 5oz dream feed at 10.30pm. Dinner to be introduced today. I have read Tracey's advice on how to stop a dream feed but am confused - does it mean if you are weaning or if you aren't?
DS won't take any more milk in the day - i think 34oz is plenty - so what shall i do - just reduce the dream feed gradually?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Karyn

Offline Paulsmama

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 17:37:03 pm »
When we stopped the DF with DS he was on 4x8oz bottles a day plus a 5oz dreamfeed.  We gradually took the amount of the dreamfeed down (in .5oz increments) and moved it earlier (in 15 min increments) over 4-day periods as he increased his solids intake.  We started around 8 mos when he was regularly taking 3 small solid meals and were able to get rid of the dreamfeed in a few weeks.  When we got down to 3oz he refused his dreamfeed bottle 2 days in a row and then we were done.  I think most folks do this earlier and move in 1oz/30min steps but DS was slow on solids and supper was on the early side until he dropped his 3rd nap at close to 9 mos.
Cynthia

Paul--spirited/March 2005
Joseph--touchy-textbook??/Sept 2006

Offline karfow

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 19:07:21 pm »
Thanks for replying - that does sound like the way to go.  I gave Eddie his third meal tonight - he had pudding as well! So i am going to drop an ounce and feed him at 10pm.  I will leave it like that for four days and when i increase his food intake, will slowly reduce it further.