Author Topic: help help help PLEASE  (Read 847 times)

Offline Lisajane

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 06, 2006, 15:07:49 pm »
:cry:

my baby boy is almost 6 months old

always slept so well but started to wake up 10-15 times a night for no known reason at all.

He is on solid foods, he has already cut his 2 bottom teeth (which did not bother him at all), he is in very good health and he has 2 naps during the day.  1 short nap in morning and a longer nap in afternoon.

He goes to sleep at night so well, doesnt need me there to fall asleep.

When he wakes up, I go in, give him his dummy or just put my hand on the side of his head and he will go back to sleep. but within 15-30mins his awake again.

I have tried to get him off dummy but it didnt work.

I dont know what to do about him waking in the night I REALLY need help as I have had to take 2 days off work due to me being far too tiered to go in.

I need help fast!!!!!!

Offline albertasweetpea

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
  • Our Dolly Molly - October 2007
help help help PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 15:27:22 pm »
Hi there. Sorry to hear you are having such night waking troubles.  :shock: 

A couple of things come to mind...firstly, how long has he been doing this? Molly went through a similar thing at about 6-7 months but her wakings were about every hour or so, not every 15 minutes!! That must be terrible for you!!  Apparently at this age babies are going through so much developmentally that their little bodies just don't settle down very well at night.

Also, have you fed him something new lately?

If you haven't introduced any new foods, it is probably just developmental and will pass. How long do you wait before you go into him? Have you thought of dropping the soother? Do you have help so that you can get some sleep? Since it is the weekend, it may be a good time to give up the soother??

HTH - keep us posted OK?
~Michelle (Spruce Grove, AB, Canada)

[img=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png=http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/rooby-rooby-roo/BW2ndAnnivAva.png[/img]
[url=http://www.baby-gaga.com/][img=http://tickers.baby-gag

Offline Lisajane

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 15:41:53 pm »
I dont think its anything he is eating, I pritty much keep to the same things - veg and babanas.

I did try to give up dummy.  Was told it shouldnt take longer than 3 days as babies under 6 months dont have long term memory.  Sadly by day 4 I had to give in.  He was getting far too upset and miserable during the day.  Not just when he was tiered either.

I think he is going through a developmental stage since xmas.  he now has loads of new toys to play with and it had changed him loads in such a short space of time, so it could be that.

As soon as I hear him wimper I will go in, dont want him to wake up fully and be harder to go back to sleep.

My partner NEVER hears the baby so its just easier for me to go into him.

This night waking has been going on for about a month and has slowly begain to get worse.  It was only once or twice he woke up.

Must say its not every night, some nights he does sleep right til morning but last few days have been hellish!

FrasersMum

help help help PLEASE
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 23:15:09 pm »
Hi Lisajane

I have to agree with Michelle, there are a lot of developmental things going on around 6 months which cause an increase in the night wakings.  These LO's brains are just so busy processing all this new information.

Or is it possible that your LO is hitting a growth spurt?  There is often a growth spurt at around 6 months, which could be the reason that a previously good sleeper now wakes during the night.  Have you tried feeding to see if that eliminates any of the wakings?  Then your goal is to increase daytime calories so the LO doesn't need to wake up in the night for that extra food.

I would have to say though - I really think that it sounds like the paci is a big part of the problem.  Until your baby is able to replace the paci by themself, if he needs you to plug him back in until he falls asleep, it has become a sleeping prop.  So I guess then you have a decision to make - are you happy to keep getting up and giving him the paci back or are you going to try and wean him off it.  I would add that, depending on how ingrained a habit is, it might well take more than 3 days to break a habit.  If you are going to try and wean the paci, you can seek advise from the mums on our props board who will be able to share their experiences.  When you were trying to eliminate the paci, were you using PU/PD or some other strategy to try and help your DS fall asleep??  While you are teaching your DS to fall asleep in a different way (ie without the paci) he will need additional support from you in getting to sleep and staying asleep.

HTH

Good luck