Author Topic: Trouble establishing EASY  (Read 1133 times)

Offline scurrie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Trouble establishing EASY
« on: January 06, 2006, 16:32:57 pm »
My DD Leana was born just before Christmas and so we are just now trying to establish a routine. Our biggest problem is that during the late night hours, between 11 pm and 4 am we have a vicious cycle of eating for only 5 – 7 mins., which leads to a great deal of gas. DD is not a good burper to begin with and therefore we enter into a struggle to work the gas out.  Our attempts at trying to relieve the gas tend to turn into over-stimulation and then DD ends up screaming/crying until she passes out from exhaustion. She then sleeps for maybe a half hour and then wakes crying/screaming. It is hard to tell if she is now hungry or still suffering from gas. She has difficulty taking a soother, so we have trouble determining if she is now hungry or just needs to suck.

This seems to happen every other night and is getting worse.  I don’t believe that it is colic, I think it is a lack of routine. I am having real difficulty in putting a routine together. My first DD, Lauren was an Angel baby and was able to sleep for 3 hour stretches in the day and sleep for 6 or 7 hours at night from about 2 weeks on. So this is uncharted water for me.

I noticed that in the sample 0 –3 month routines, that the feedings are happening during the day at exactly 3 hour intervals. Are these babies being woken from their sleep to achieve this or are they waking on their own? I am finding that my DD will eat, have an activity for 45 – 60 mins and then sleep for up to 3 hours which makes it almost 4 hours between feeds. I am wondering if this contributing to our evening issues. I also think that I have yet to firmly establish a routine, so I am very unsure of what to do at night to address her needs.

Any insight that anyone is able to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 21:36:19 pm »
I'm assuming your dd is about 1 mo old.  At that age I think she should be eating every 3 hours, which means you would need to wake her from naps.  Also, if she is having gas issues, there are a few things to try.  When you burp her, you could gently rub your hand in a circular movement or an upward movement around her back while supporting her on the front with your other hand.  You could lay her on her back and bend her legs up to her tummy and see if she passes gas.  Also, you can find gas drops to give her before or after feedings.
Do you have Tracy's new book?
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline scurrie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 02:14:20 am »
Thank you for the encouragement.

Today has been the first day of a 3 hour routine and so far it has gone well, even when I have had to wake her up. We are just settling in for the night and she is having some trouble going off to sleep. I had trouble with the cluster feed as I think that she may have gotten a little gas. She is drifting off and then waking up crying because the paci has fallen out before she has truly gone to sleep.

I am a bit concerned about when to get to the dream feed as this is beginning to look like last night except that it is about four hours earlier.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed.

Offline HeatherC

• Showing Appreciation 79
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 02:24:45 am »
I think a good target time for the df is 10 pm, but no later than 11 pm.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 20:29:51 pm »
hi, my DS is two months old and he used to have terrible gas pain also :cry: , the doctor gave him mylicon drops (simeticone), wich worked really well. I won't lie to you :? , he does get gas pain now and then sometimes, but it has definetly improved. And the routine also helps, because the little guy is eating every four hours now (used to be 3hr routine, but changed it a week ago) so his stomach isn't allways digesting something.
I believe the routine will help you, and also ask your doctor if you could give her some drops.
His scheduleof feeds at 1 month used to be:
7:30-10:30-1:30-4:30-6:30 (1st cluster)-8:30 (2nd cluster)- 11 DF and he used to wake at 1-2am for a feed  :shock: (thank god this feed has stopped) and then at 4-5am for a feed also. Hope this helps you.
good luck :D