Author Topic: How do I stretch him out?  (Read 962 times)

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
How do I stretch him out?
« on: January 06, 2006, 17:17:14 pm »
I am struggling getting Caeden to go 4 hours between feeds, we are closer to like 2 hours between most of the time when we are home. He does good when we go out.....it's when we are home, alone and he seems to want to eat ALL THE TIME. I hate telling him no, but I know it would help his schedule and all if he would be more consistent. We are eating 2-3 meals a day and he still is just as interested - if not more - in nursing.
Any suggestions?

We usually nurse as soon as he gets up from his nap and then I have been nursing before he goes down as well -and it has helped naps, they are usually over an hour now - to help get him thru the nap. We nurse like 15 min before he goes down so he is going down awake.

HELP - I feel like I am constantly pulling out this milk machine for him!
 :wink:  :wink:
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 19:37:03 pm »
Well your body is probably trained to make milk that way. And his being 6 months, he isn't likely to suck very long at each nursing to increase the supply. You could try pumping after the first feed of the cycle to get your body to make more milk, and keep feeding him the second feed before napping until you can phase it out. That way he starts to get more milk at the first feed and will be able to go longer and wait until the next feed, at the awake time and not nap time.

Or you can just wait until the next schedule change and start swapping solids for nursings. Usually around 9 months-ish it changes so there are three solids meals and 4-5 nursings in between "breakfast,lunch,dinner"
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 00:03:54 am »
Has he always been like this Jennifer or is it a recent thing? Red just did a massive growth spurt - over about 10-14 days!! He was eating all the solids he could, went back to Bf'ing every 2-3 hours and once in the night too, which he hasn't done for a long time! Then one day - yesterday - he's back to nursing every 3-4 hours and taking much smaller amounts of solids. So it might be that?

Whats your schedule? This is ours:

7-8am - wake and nurse
8-9am - solids (or it will be when we intorduce breakfast!)
9-10am - nap - he naps about 2 hours after he woke
11am-12pm - nurse, followed by solids (veges)
12-1pm - naps for about 2 hours
3pm - nurses
5.30pm - solids (and often nurses too, but we are working on cutting that one out!)
7pm - nurses
11pm - nurses
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 16:32:12 pm »
Clair - I guess it is more of a gradual recent thing. We were good at 3 hours and tried to go to 4 and it didn't work so we went back to three and then he seemed to just be wanting it more and more. It is so hard - he sits there while I hold him and I know what he is going for. We have tried playing on the floor and stuff - I just think he thinks - it's there why not have some!

I tried skipping the before nap feed this morning so we will see how he does.
We may put it back!

I think too he is having a growth spurt and we are just getting thru the night worked on - so I am wanting to be sure he gets enough to eat during the day so I hate to refuse him.......is this okay?
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)

Offline CaedensMama

• Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 16:38:55 pm »
Oops - our schedule kinda looks like this:

7-7:30 Wake (nurses right away if I get him up, can wait up to an hour if daddy gets him up!)
8 - Solids, nurse about 1/2 hour after solids if he hasn't already
9:15 - Nurse again if needed
9:30 Naptime - Hopefully till 11
Next nap is 1:30-2ish, with A time, nursing, solids about 12-12:30 and a nurse before nap
Nap 1:30-3 or 2-4 ideally (helps no catnap and get to bed better! But 11 (r earlier) till 2 is a LONG stretch!)
Nurses when he wakes up
Catnap if we are out sometime between 4-6 for 30-60 minutes
Solids about 5:30-6, bath after and then quiet play or daddy time (not so quiet!) till bedtime. Usually nurse again within a half hour of bedtime at 7:30
He had still been DF somewhere between 10-11:30 and then we often wake abour 2, but I have stopped feeding at this time and won't feed till he wakes after 4. So he nurses again between 4-6 and then sleeps till 7-7:30
Any great suggestions on dropping a night feed? Which should I drop first - DF or early morning? I am thinking DF just cause I don't want to loose sleeping past 7!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)