Author Topic: 3 week old falls asleep while BF  (Read 946 times)

Offline debg

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 06, 2006, 17:39:19 pm »
We've only just started to try to implement the EASY routine, but just as we were beginning to try to estabkish it, my 3 week old son started to fall asleep during every feed within 5 minutes of starting to eat. 

We have always fed him when we wakes up (we rarely have to wake him to feed).  He's been pretty good about eating up until now.  However, he now falls asleep right away and it is difficult to wake him up to continue.  We have tried:

1.  Making sure he is well awake before starting and doesn't need to sleep more if his nap was short or if it's nighttime.

2.  Various arousal techniques, such as rubbing his hands, moving fingers up and down his spine, gently rubbing his body and face, talking and singing to him, and burping.  Generally, these do not work.

3.  Putting him back down for a bit unil he wakes up again.  However, once he's awake, he'll fall back asleep again.

4.  Changing his diaper to wake him up.  This works as well as putting him back down.

5.  Stroking his cheek and back and talking/singing to him while he eats.

6.  Formula (my DH gave him this while I was sleeping).  He fell asleep eating that, too.

If he eats about 20-25 minutes over the course of a 45-min feed, that's ok, but sometimes he only gets about 15 min of nursing during that time.

So, any ideas on how to wake up a sleepy baby?  Is this something he's likely to grow out of soon?  Could it be something I'm eating and if so, what?

Thanks!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
3 week old falls asleep while BF
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 19:39:48 pm »
Yep, it's something that he'll grow out of. Do your best to get him to take "full" feeds every 2-3 hrs(days) until he is less sleepy and more alert.

Consider if you are still taking painkillers, that is the only thing that would make him sleepy that I can think of.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies