Author Topic: Please help: baby rejecting the breast  (Read 1011 times)

Offline gracecody

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Please help: baby rejecting the breast
« on: January 07, 2006, 02:40:47 am »
My baby is 15 wks old and has been rejecting the breast all day today.  This is the first time he has ever done this -- he has always been a voracious eater.

I think I am having my first period and that it is affecting the taste of my milk.  He recently started sleeping much longer stretches at night and I read that that can trigger the onset of menstruation.  But my period is super light.  Anyway, he just screams when I put him to the breast and it is terrible.  We are quickly going through my entire supply of frozen milk as he is gobbling down bottle after bottle (could he be having a growth spurt at the same time -- never had a 3 mo growth spurt that I noticed) and won't have enough to get through the night.  I really would like to avoid introducing formula so I'm wondering if there might be anything I can eat/drink to make my milk taste better or if anyone has any other ideas?  I would appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.

annamum

Please help: baby rejecting the breast
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 03:14:07 am »
He may be more willing to accept your breast while he is sleepy, drowsy. So you may want to try to feed him while he is asleep, napping or just after he wakes up.

Some babies go on nursing strikes, it could be because of the taste of your milk or because of something else. I don't know it it is an old wife's tale but I have heard that if you eat chocolate ice cream or some chocolate your breast milk will have an appealing taste to your ds. Are you pumping while he is refusing the breast to keep your supply up? Even if he won't have it, do it just because of supply issues.

Yes, he may have a growth spurt, too bad he won't take your breast at that moment. Growth spurts are not always as it is written in a book, can happen later or earlier.

Check out this link, info on nursing strikes is at the bottom of the page: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/back-to-breast.html#linksstrike