Author Topic: 11 month old - not wanting to nap!  (Read 1127 times)

Offline pombird

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
11 month old - not wanting to nap!
« on: January 07, 2006, 08:21:10 am »
Hi ladies

Hope you can help.  Oliver is 11 months 1 week and is an 'Angel' baby.  We've been following a hybrid of Tracey Hogg/Gina Ford routines since he was born.

He's been a great sleeper and napper and has been able to put himself to sleep independently since he was about 3 months old.  He sleeps at night for 12 hours.

In the last week, whilst he's still sleeping at night, he's been resisting going to sleep.  He's normally quite cheerful in his cot, but there have been some naps that he's really cried, like he's not ready to sleep, other times, he'll play in his cot for 50 mins before finally dropping off. 

Here's our routine - as you can see, not strictly tracey hogg's......

wakes at 7.30
Breakfast and play
Nap 9-9.45
PLay
Lunch 11.30
Sleep 12.15 - 1.45/2
play
snack
Tea 5pm
Bath 6.30
Bottle and bed 7.15

He's trying to pull himself up, but is still a way from doing it, he's also discovered that he can break out of his blanket (we tuck him in, in his cot) and can roll around the cot in his Grobag.....

I don't want to put him down if he's not tired, but also, I don't want to put him down at the normal time and for him to cry (he stops the second I go in) and for me to get into a hostage situation with him only falling asleep if I'm in the room - also, he's been so brilliant at falling asleep independently that I don't want to break the great habit he's in...

Any suggestions?  Could he stay awake longer?  What happens with the 2nd nap and feeding times.....?

Sorry for long post.........

Sarah
Sarah

Oliver John 29-01-05 Angel

http://lilypie.com">Lilypie Baby Ticker" border="0

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 10:36:10 am »
i would defnitely push out the 2nd nap later.  my dd2 is 10 1/2 mo and wakes earlier than your lo but has 1st nap at 9/9:30 and then linch at 11:30 and then has playtime, then bottle at 12:30 and nap at 1/1:30 dinner onwards is same as you.

if the first nap is also giving you trouble you coudl push that out to 9:30 or later and then do 2nd nap around 1:30/2 all depending on how he reacts to changes

i know GF always pushed to have those 2 set nap times but i think they only work for a certain window of time and as he approaches a year that midday nap (unless you plan to make it his only nap very soon) will be too early.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline Fiona (Leah & Kians Mom)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 19:20:18 pm »
I would push the first nap to 9.30 for your 45 mins and the second nap to 1.15ish for no more than 2 hours which should give you a 7.30 bedtime. My dd followed this schedule and went to one nap at about 13 months, she was taking longer to settle for the second nap so I cut short her morning nap by 5 mins over a period of time until she was only in bed for 20 minutes, all of which she was awake and singing.
Fiona

Edited to add when she went to one nap I moved her pm nap from 13.40 to 13.00, she is usually up by 8.00