Author Topic: Dropping feeds at night -- What's happening to my supply?  (Read 908 times)

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
Dropping feeds at night -- What's happening to my supply?
« on: January 07, 2006, 14:17:48 pm »
Hi ladies,

DS has been sleeping great stretches at night lately, maybe making once or twice to feed (a great improvement for us). He goes down at 6pm, and wakes up at 6am, and on a good night will eat once around 2am or 3am.

I block nurse however, and this means that one breast isn't emptied for nine hours, and one breast isn't emptied for 12.

I've had worries that my supply was getting lower due feeling less full in my breasts (though at 4 months I kinda thought to expect this), but when we took him to the peds for a post ear-infection follow up it turns out he'd lost 1.5oz since before Christmas. He's also had a cold, so it could be due to this, but I'm now terrified that DS is not getting enough to eat.

We feed approx every 2 hours during the day, averaging nine times in a 24 hour period.

Do you think the extended hours without food during the night are causing my supply to dwindle? Should I be pumping in the night to keep up my supply? I've got both of Tracy's books, but can't seem to find anything relating to this.

Thanks in advance!

Katriona

Offline Glynis

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 15:02:24 pm »
Your body will adjust to your baby's feeding schedule, whatever it is.  BF is an amazing thing.   :)
Mom to Samuel born Aug 17, 2005
& big brother Brett July 11, 1993

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 01:29:08 am »
A lot of moms find that their supply really settles around 3 or 4 months.  Night feedings defintely help maintain supply, but like Glynis said, your body will adjust with whatever you do.

I would suggest checking his weight after the cold is done and see how he's doing. If he's not gaining well, you might want to consider switching to double side feedings to stimulate your production more.  I'd hate to have you wake at night to pump!  But he's eating great during the day, so he's probably getting enough to eat overall.  Some babies just sleep through the night earlier than others - even bf babies! :)
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha