Author Topic: Finger Foods and Lumpy Foods  (Read 1182 times)

Offline PaulaP

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 07, 2006, 16:21:03 pm »
Hi All,

I have two questions that I am hoping to get some help on.

My DS is a  couple of days off six months and has been on food since he was 4.5 months old as he was a very hungry baby.  He has been on pureed food, and I am wondering at what age would you introduce lumpier food to him.  He does take his cereal quite well when it has a little less milk in it.

I was also wondering when to introduce finger foods.  When my DS sees us eating snacks he constantly tries to grab the food and always makes the chewing motion.   I did give him a puff crisp which he held himself and fed himself.  Apart from the mess it went down well.  I am just wondering if perhaps he is a bit young for finger foods as I am worried that he make choke.

He does have a bit of toast from me, but I hold this myself as I don't want him to choke.

Thanks for your advice.

Paula - Mum to Thomas - 12 July 2005

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
Finger Foods and Lumpy Foods
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 17:44:08 pm »
Hi Paula,

That's great that he is a good eater!  Before introducing lumpier foods, I would probably give him the full range of purees - fruits, veggies, cereals. 

I started my ds on finger foods at around 7 mos.  Maybe you can start with foods that you know would not contain allergens or cause choking at all, like single grains of rice, or tiny pieces of banana. 

I would probably just go by his cues.  That's great that he seems curious to try different textures!  Let us know how it goes...   :wink:
Sheila
ng

Offline HJ's Mom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 03:17:52 am »
I would wait until his has teeth or at about 8 months..there really is no rush..if he is eating his pureed food well, keep introducing new stuff. He will develop tastes for a wide variety of items. Chocking can be pretty scary and is easy for a young baby so be very careful. It's just not worth it to rush your baby with this or anything for that matter. They grow up very quickly as it is.

Offline HJ's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 03:19:13 am »
I would wait until his has teeth or at about 8 months..there really is no rush..if he is eating his pureed food well, keep introducing new stuff. He will develop tastes for a wide variety of items. Chocking can be pretty scary and is easy for a young baby so be very careful. It's just not worth it to rush your baby with this or anything for that matter. They grow up very quickly as it is.

Offline HJ's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2006, 03:20:31 am »