Author Topic: number of feeds per day  (Read 1136 times)

Offline will'smummy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 09, 2006, 11:02:56 am »
My 17 week old son is fully breast fed and has been on 3/24 EASY since we brought him home. I feel that he is ready for 4/24 EASY but he mostly sleeps through the night (1930 - 0630), and on 3/24 EASY has five feeds in 24 hours. If I change him to 4/24 feeds he will only have 4 feeds in 24 hours. I was wondering if anybody has already gone through this with their baby and what problems they encountered? I don't feel that he is ready for solids yet and am concerned that he will not be getting enough calories through the day to support his night sleep.

Offline HeatherC

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 79
number of feeds per day
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 15:59:05 pm »
Your lo will be the best guide as to know when to drop to 4 feeds.  If his naps start to shorten or he has trouble settling for naps and seems to want to stay awake longer, he may be ready to transition to a 4 hr routine.  Also, if he doesn't seem to eat as much at 3 hours, he may be ready to wait a bit longer.  It doesn't have to be exactly 4 hrs, you could do a combination of different lengths between feeding throughout the day.  What does your day look like now?  Do you give a df?  If you try and drop a feed, and it doesn't work for him (meaning he seems hungry), you can always add that feed back.
Kelsey, Feb. 4, 2005
Landon, Jan. 2, 2007

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
number of feeds per day
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 16:16:17 pm »
Hello!  :D
Just wanted to add too, that if they are ready for a 4 hr routine, they will typically take more at each feed, therefore the change from 5 feeds to 4 works.  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline will'smummy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 10:44:11 am »
Thanks for the advice. I don't currently give a dream feed and feel that it would be a backward step in regards to his night sleeping - plus the evenings are now bliss!! What I have tried today is to have 4/24 feeds in the morning and then cluster feed in the afternoon to fit in the five. I'll see how he goes tonight.

He has started to wake at 5am and won't go back to sleep. I noticed another post mentioning that it can indicate that they need to stay up longer in the day. His daytime sleeps have decreased and he just doesn't seem interested in feeding well anymore which is why I think he is ready for 4/24. I guess like everything with LOs it is all trial and error.

Thanks again for your responses.

Nic

Offline jessmum

• Showing Appreciation 0
number of feeds per day
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 01:39:47 am »
Hi Nic

I went through this with my DD at about 14 wks old making the transition to 4 hr easy. i just took it day by day for a week or so. Some days would be 4 feeds and others 5 feeds depending on how the morning nap went. My DD also sleeps 11-12 hours at night. I found that if it was a 5 feed day i would have to cliuster feed at 4.30pm and 6.30 and most of that would be spit up again because it got too much. we now feed at 7am, 11am, 3pm and 6pm with a bed time of 7pm and while there is only 3 hours between last two feeds this keeps her happy as she seems to be hungrier this time of day.
HTH and good luck
Jen