Author Topic: Expressing... is it necessary?  (Read 1069 times)

Offline minnumd

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 08, 2006, 04:00:32 am »
I'm a first-time-mum-to-be planning to breastfeed. I was just wondering: Is it necessary to express to keep milkflow up??? We are thinking about introducing a bottle with formula at the dreamfeed for my DH to give, so that he is involved and so we know exactly how much she has taken before bedtime. However, we are confused as to whether this would make my milksupply go down????? Would it be better to express before the DF and let my husband give the baby that milk in a bottle??? If we do that is it necessary to express at any other times during the day???

I am very confused about this whole expressing thing!!! Is it something I can't possibly plan until the baby is here and till I found out how much milk I produce, or is there a certain way which is recommended (i.e. express after you've nursed to make sure you keep supply up? Or express every morning? or express only if you suspect you are not producing enough?)
Thanks for taking time to reply  :D

Offline 15milner

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 211
Expressing... is it necessary?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 15:45:55 pm »
congratulations on your forthcoming arrival.

The advice that is often given here is that the first 6 weeks is VITAL to get your supply.  Feed every 2 hours and no less than every 3 hours during the night (I used to set my alarm).  The timing for a feed counts from the start to the start of a feed.  ie if you feed at 7am, your next feed will be at 9am.  It does seem heavy going in the early days, but your baby only had a little tummy to go for much longer than 2 / 2.5 hrs between feeds.  Feed, eed, feed.  When the bf mods read this i am sure they will also say that introducing formula could jeopardize successful bf in the early days as your breasts may not be stimulated sufficiently.  (from my own personal exp and highinsight, I didn't feed enough in the first 6 weeks and had to work with a lactation consultant by week 7 to get a good enough supply and to be able to go to 3 hours between a feed)

I never got the hang of expressing and was never able to use it as a succesful alternative.  But that's my experience.  Expressing will never be a true reflection on how much you produce as a baby is far more efficient at sucking, so I know I was producing more than the measly 1oz I could pump.

Lastly, make sure that you have contact with a good lactation consultant early on, who can check on the baby's latch, give advice on positions that work for you and you baby. 

Good luck and look forward to seeing you around the boards when baby arrives.

Alex

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Expressing... is it necessary?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 01:02:45 am »
Welcome! I think Alex and Stacy pretty much said it all! But I'll sum up and add my 2 cents :D

You can certainly plan ahead - just like you're doing by getting info!  :wink: Once the latch and your milk is established (for many moms this is by 2 or 3 weeks, even, but some lc's suggest waiting until 6 weeks), you can start pumping.  You'll have more milk available in the morning, usually. So you can pump extra then, but if you're replacing with a bottle of expressed, just pump around the same time to make that milk.

Supply=demand.  If you want to have the milk available, you need to stimulate your breasts to produce that much - preferably at around the same time each day so they get used to it.  Some moms have no trouble also supplementing with formula, but I'd caution when doing this unless your supply is REALLY good.

Let us know if you have more questions!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha