Author Topic: When to add a second meal?  (Read 5196 times)

Offline Laura B

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
When to add a second meal?
« on: January 08, 2006, 10:48:37 am »
Bit of advice please. I started weaning my 4.5 month old DS a week ago because he was getting hungry between milk feeds.

He's now still having 5 9oz bottles of formula a day and a solid breakfast (we've done plain baby rice and also carrots now - bananas are next!). My questions are:

a) When should I introduce a second solid meal at lunchtime? Is it too soon?
b) When should I start reducing his milk intake?

Thanks in advance!
Laura
x

Offline Nicola_G

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 11:19:33 am »
Hi Laura,

I'm no expert here, but I think now is not the time to start weaning. Sure, add solids, but do not wean. My understanding is that until about 8 months old, breastmilk or formula should constitute the vast majority of your baby's nutrition. Adding solids from 4 1/2 months (which is exactly what I did) is not an attempt at weaning, instead it is intended to serve a number of purposes:

- introducing the concept of solid food and give lo practice actually eating, rather than sucking
- introduce a variety of flavours (and later, textures)
- provide additional calories for a lo which is growing like a weed

So, you should continue to provide solids, but not to replace milk, but in addition to it. Breast/formula should be given first to quell the hunger, with solids offered afterwards. Initially, volume of solids will be small and the intention will be simply as a learning exercise.

My lo has been taking solids since 4 months, and this week we introduced a second meal (just over 5 months). The variety is increasing, and I am adding slightly more lumpy consistencies. I intend to have him on 3 solid meals by around six months, BUT these are always accompanied by the breast. I will not start reducing the breastmilk intake until he is on a full range of foods which we eat, including dairy and proteins, as I do not believe that with cereal, fruit and veg he will be ingesting sufficient nutrition to sustain him. And I do not think that his digestive system is sophisticated enough yet to introduce those protein based foods. They will be on the menu I expect at around 9 months.

HTH
Nicola
Mum to Tyson Luke, born August 1, 2005
In the Australian bush

Offline Schae

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 12:33:21 pm »
A friend of mine sent me this when we started solids. I also agree with the previous poster.

Step 1

Rice cereal (2 teaspoons) mixed to the consistency of mayonnaise
Mix with either formula or breast milk
Never try solids when baby is starving rather give half the feed first then solids
Increase by 2 teaspoons every 2nd or 3rd day until at about 10 teaspoons for 2 weeks.

Morning cereal

Once baby is established on his evening cereal usually after 2 weeks, you can start introducing cereal in the same way for another 2 weeks.

Step 2

Lunch time introduce orange veg e.g. carrots, butternut, pumpkin, sweet potato, gems.
Start by introducing one veg at a tim for 3 days at a time to ensure that baby is not allergic to them.
Once each veg has been tried you can mix them.

Step 3

Once baby is established on cereal and veggies, move veggies to dinner and start single fruits at lunch time i.e 1st fruits like apple, pear, etc

Should baby find the flavour a bit strong you can mix it into the cereal gradually doing away with the cereal.

Once this routine is completed, green veggies can be introduced to orange veggies.

* Please note that protein has not yet been added to solids *
Proud mama to
Luka 22 Feb 2010 Textbook/Spirited
Tiisetso 18 Sep 2010 Textbook/Touchy
and three little angels