Author Topic: Constantly awake during the night  (Read 909 times)

Offline marley811

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Constantly awake during the night
« on: January 08, 2006, 14:29:40 pm »
Hello there!

After having religiously studied Tracy's book during my pregnancy I knew all the theories and was distraight when none of the worked for our baby girl Savannah.

Today she is 23 days old and our main problem is that come 11pm she is wide awake and cannot be settled until the early morning hours. Recently she has been awake for 7 hours until 6am and last night even 7.30am.

I expected her to waken every 2-3 hours for feeds and winding but I did not expect her to stay awake all night long.

Following Tracy's advice from the book we started waking her every 60 - 75 mins when she was approximately 11 days old, which caused huge problems as she didn't sleep at night, didn't sleep during the day, stopped feeding properly (never fed for longer than 5 minutes), couldn't be properly woken no matter what we tried ... it was a complete disaster and just got worse and worse and worse even though we continued for three days.

We finally stopped and she now feeds for at least 10 minutes. I do not switch breasts either so she should be getting hindmilk when she feeds longer.

I don't understand why she sleeps well during the day and settles so easily while she cannot settle at all during the night. She also seems to be in a lot of pain and arches her back a lot. Some nights she will spit up loads and vomit, others she won't. I assume she might have refux but why would this only be a problem at night and not during the day?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and I am beginning to struggle surviving on 4 hours sleep a day.

Thanks Marley

Offline pope2075

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 01:15:39 am »
That sounds very similar to how my little boy Rory started out. Basically he would seem like a little angel during the day - sleeping and eating quite well - but then at night he was up for hours on end and only slept fitfully.  I worked out that he had his days & nights reversed and it really was a horrendous time until we go it sorted out (I always flash back to it whever I contemplate the idea of having another baby!).

I too had read the BW book and tried to implement all the strategies  What I found was that some things worked, some didn't and some I needed to modify a bit.  As a general statement this is probably not very helpful to you, and I am certainly no expert, but given the situation seems similar I thought I would let you know what worked for me in case it might assist. 

To change the day/night thing I always made sure I woke Rory up for feeds during the day although not always as often as the BW book suggested.  I made sure he got a few good sleeps in a day as he would be even worse if he was completely overtired and wouldn't feed well anyway.  He was a small baby when he arrived (2 weeks early) - only just over 6 pounds - but I found that putting him on to a very short cycle for feeding/sleeping was just too disruptive.  It doesn't seem to have caused him any problems to go a little longer as he has gone from being the second smallest to the biggest baby in my mother's group!  I tried to concentrate on making sure he fed well at each of his feeds.  To wake him up if he fell asleep when feeding I would change his nappy half way through, which he didn't like at all back then, so it usually worked. 

We also moved Rory from our room into his own room and I made sure that all my night feeds were done in a relatively dark room (just a dim lamp on) and that I didn't talk to Rory or interact with him.  He did eventually get the idea after all of this that night time was for sleeping.  What then made a huge diference to the number of times he woke at night was swaddling him quite tightly.  The first time I tried it (and perservered even though he didn't seem to like it) he slept for 5 hours straight, then the next night 6 hours, which at the time I considered to be a miracle.  I can still remember the first time (when he was about 6 weeks old) that I woke up after having had a 6 hour stretch of sleep.  I really did feel like a completely new person.  Oh, and right from the start I also used a kind of modified shush/pat - I didn't roll Rory over as it would disrupt him so I would stroke him and do the shushing.  For months I wondered if it really was having any impact but then since he was about 3 months old when he wakes up at night and it isn't time for a feed I can usually put him back to sleep just by shushing him.  So somewhere in his mind he must have developed an association between the shushing and sleep; it just seemed to take a long time to develop. 

At any rate, these are some of the things that worked for me.  So hang in there - although I didn't really believe it at the time it does get (a lot) better.

Offline pope2075

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 01:24:04 am »
I forgot to mention that like your little girl Rory was also a champion vomiter right from the start.  He didn't have reflux, he was just a very chucky baby and I had a lot of milk.  This started to get a better just the last month or so - he is now just over 4 months old.