Author Topic: 10 mo old will not sleep!  (Read 1010 times)

Offline JenSully

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 mo old will not sleep!
« on: January 08, 2006, 20:23:36 pm »
Hi
I have a 10 mo old very needy high maint. baby.  He was sleeping through the night for about 3 weeks in his crib waking at 630a-730a.  That was 3 months ago.  Prior to that he would wake about 4 am looking for a bottle but would go back to sleep immediately after.  He is on a good schedule of naps about every 2 hours and would sleep about 30-45 mins.  He gets 3  8 oz bottles a day and eats his meals well.  My pediatrician tells me we should just let him cry and he will soothe himself, however it doesn't seem to work.  I've let him go as long as 45 mins in his crib crying and he shows no sign of stopping.  He has acid reflux so when I let him go too long, he is sick for days.  I desperately need help.  I am 6 mos pregnant and I need some sleep!  The only way I can seem to get him to sleep and STAY asleep is to hold him and sleep with me.  I can't continue this.  I've tried letting him cry, I've tried the whole shush pat thing, I've tried getting him back to sleep and into his crib again only to have to go back and do it again every 30 mins to an hour or less.  Im going out of my mind.  PLEASE help me! 
Thanks!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
10 mo old will not sleep!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 22:27:45 pm »
My thought is that if he is sleeping after 2 hours of awake time, he only uses up enough energy to catnap & doesn't accumulate tiredness to get good sleep at night.

My 7.5mo can stay awake 2.5-3 hours & at 10months 3-3.5 is about normal.

I think if you can get your lo on a routine with 2 day sleeps about 3-3.5 hours after waking in the am, you may be on the way to gettting better night sleep.

I (& this site) don't agree with CIO, as it breaks the trust of the lo, they cry out for a reason/need & it can create more "emotional" issues than the "sleep problem" it "fixes"

I think if you can get the days working better you will have some really tough days but using PU/PD (PD part mainly if he can stand on his own) (see the board on this site for info on that) you can be consistent with an approach.

But I do think the main part of the night problem is too frequent & too short sleeps in the day

The routine I would suggest is

6.30/7am awake
7/7.30 - Eat (solids + milk)
9.30/10am - Sleep (1.5 hours)
11.30 Eat (solids + milk)
2.30pm Milk
3pm Sleep (1-1.5 hours)
6pm Eat (solids)
Bath
Milk
7/7.30pm Bed

HTH
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline JenSully

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
10 mos and not sleeping in crib
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 15:27:15 pm »
Hi, Thanks for the advice.  It seems I have a lot more than just not sleeping going against me.  I recently found out that while I was sick in the hospital (had to have my appendix out at 6 mos pregnant...would not be a pregnancy for me w/o some drama!) my sister in law was watching my son for me.  Apparantly she felt it ok to leave him unattended in the crib and allowed him to cry for extended periods of time. :x  :evil:   So now he is suffering from seperation anxiety with me simply leaving the room, which is natural at this age but also with the crib.  He starts crying as soon as we go in the room.  I've been staying in there all during the day with him and trying to break the anxiety he has attached to the room but it seems this is going to take a very long time.  Something I am short of.  We will just have to ride this out I guess.
I have changed his schedule as well.  Waking 730/8 and have breakfast/bottle. Short nap in the AM around 1030/11 and then lunch by 1230/1 with a bottle around 3 and a nice long nap at 330 and dinner by 630 and bathtime and bottle 730 and bed by 830.  He seems to be doing better with that.  Still sleeping with us but that is mainly because my husband has not been home this week to help with the whole PU/PD thing and by evening I just can't keep going anymore, I am just too exhausted.
Hopefully I will have a sleeping baby soon, even if he gets up 1 a night and goes back to bed I'd be happy! 
Thanks again!
Jenn