Author Topic: Born to only take short naps!  (Read 949 times)

Offline illya mignon

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 08, 2006, 22:42:11 pm »
My little illy who is now 15 weeks, has never been able to take longer naps. It started at birth, because of her acid reflux and horrible gas problem. She still has horrible gas...which tends to wake her throughout the night and during her naps. I think as a result, she got used to sleeping in small incraments. They're usually only 30-45 minutes long naps. She always seems happy when getting up...never groggy. I let it go for so long because she seemed happy and was sleeping 6 hours during the night. In the last few weeks I have tried to change all of that, worried that she SHOULD be sleeping more.  We've been doing the wake/sleep....and sometimes it takes 45 minutes for her to go back to sleep for 30 minutes.
Is it possible that she's just a baby who doesn't like to nap longer than 45 minutes?
Should I try to change her routine? I know it goes against the Hogg philosophy, but should I let "the baby" dictate when she eats, sleeps....?
If gas is cause of her constant waking....What do I do about it? Should I pick her up and pat her bottom? What if it wakes her up?
Any help would be great.
Thank you
Illy's mom

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Born to only take short naps!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2006, 03:18:07 am »
Hi!  If it's any consolation, my DD was at least 4 months old before she took a nap longer than 45 minutes without any help.  Have you checked out this link http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/teaching-3-5mos-to-overcome-the-45min-naps-vt39769.html in the nap forum?  It's a great resource to look at to see what you might be able to do. 

However, if she's happy and seems to be well-rested, she may just be a 45 minute napper.  If you post your schedule, it will definitely help myself or any of the other ladies to give you some more suggestions.

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 151
Born to only take short naps!
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2006, 05:29:08 am »
Infant Mylicon has helped DD with her gas.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline illya mignon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 20:14:39 pm »
Thanks for all the advice Casey and Erin.
She's now 4 months and 3 days. This is what the day looks like.
Wake 8:00 Feed
Activity... 10:00
Sleep 10:00-10:45
(wakes after 30min sometimes)
Then I spend the next hour trying to get her back to sleep. Sometimes she does, but then I have to wake her after only 20 minutes.
1200- feed
Activity -1:45/2:00
Sleep 2:00
(wake up at 2:30- did p/u p/d for 20 minutes....wake up again at 3:00....only had to shhh/and put my hand over her eyes, asleep from 3:15 till 4:00)
4:00-feed
activity
6:00-sleep (for a catnap, so she wakes me at 30min.)
and so on and so on....
I know it will take long to get her to sleep more, but how long. I feel like giving up sometimes.
Thank you so much for your help...
Illy's mom

Offline illya mignon

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 21:14:39 pm »
Thanks for all the advice Casey and Erin.
She's now 4 months and 3 days. This is what the day looks like.
Wake 8:00 Feed
Activity... 10:00
Sleep 10:00-10:45
(wakes after 30min sometimes)
Then I spend the next hour trying to get her back to sleep. Sometimes she does, but then I have to wake her after only 20 minutes.
1200- feed
Activity -1:45/2:00
Sleep 2:00
(wake up at 2:30- did p/u p/d for 20 minutes....wake up again at 3:00....only had to shhh/and put my hand over her eyes, asleep from 3:15 till 4:00)
4:00-feed
activity
6:00-sleep (for a catnap, so she wakes me at 30min.)
and so on and so on....
I know it will take long to get her to sleep more, but how long. I feel like giving up sometimes.
Thank you so much for your help...
Illy's mom