Author Topic: What did your toddler eat today?  (Read 177073 times)

Offline Mom to M&M

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
Re: What did your toddler eat today?
« Reply #210 on: February 07, 2007, 01:36:06 am »
Wendy, Zach is eating grilled cheese (dairy)?
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

binxyboo

« Reply #211 on: February 07, 2007, 01:40:08 am »
This is the first day Riley has eaten quite a bit in a while. We started him on vitamins + iron and his appetite dropped completely on it, so now we have stopped it and he is starting to eat again.

B'fast: One peach, handful of cheerios
Lunch: yoghurt, most of a banana
Snack: Ritz veggie crackers
Dinner: Little bit of pasta, mixed veg

Rice milk am and pm

Better than we have been doing lately  :) :P

Offline Mydreamcametrue

• Showing Appreciation 59
« Reply #212 on: February 07, 2007, 02:06:24 am »
Karen:  Yep, grill cheese.  We have really watched what dairy we have given him lately and he can handle very small amounts of it. 

My husband still seems to think IT DOES NOT matter with him.  He still whines all day long with or without dairy... I have just given up, I think.... 

Sorry, just a bad day.... Pregnancy hormones, Zach's constant whinning and not eating....
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

binxyboo

« Reply #213 on: February 07, 2007, 02:16:36 am »
Wendy,

I know you have a lot on your plate right now. It is possible if he is getting dairy one day, then none the next, that he is still suffering the effects of it days later. Remember it takes weeks to clear the system fully.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2007, 02:27:00 am »
??????  I have no clue at all.  He does not whine like he is in pain, he just whines....  I think because it is the only thing he knows how to do.  His poops are normal (one a day), no mucus, etc.  He does get stinky gas if he has  alot of dairy, but does not seem to bother him much.

Whenever he is distracted or at a playgroup or our weekly gymnastists class he is fine for the most part.

His sleep does not seem affected at all either.  He is a great sleeper now.  3 hour nap, bed at 8:00, awake between 6:45-7:30.  No crying, nothing..

My husband just feels like we are using "food" being dairy,soy as a cause for his whining.  Maybe he is right. 

I just wish there was some magic answer, that's all.

Maybe all the whining is just normal...  He is just bored.
Wendy -

Zach - 3 1/2 yrs old. My sweet, loving, gentle boy that loves playing in the dirt!

Tyler - 17 months.  My very very spirited little boy.  Can't turn your back for a minute.  He is doing the cutest things now!  Loves to eat and climb!

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #215 on: February 07, 2007, 13:21:57 pm »
Wendy - of course it's up to you and your DH what to feed Zach. I only keep harping on the milk issue because you've said in the past how much better/less whiny/happier he was off milk and then it seemed like the problems started again with hidden milk (McDonald's fries) and cheese, etc. So between that and what the immunologist said about no dairy until at least 2, I'd be inclined to stick strictly with that myself.

That said, of course any diet is not a magic bullet. Babies/toddler certainly are often high needs and whine, etc. Marsia often does too. And of course she does so less when she's had a good night of sleep, eaten well, is distracted (at gym class, play group, etc) but she still does it some and that's just how they communicate right now. It helps when I work with Marisa on her vocabulary (read books, look at flashcards) and work on challenging skills like stacking, sorting, coloring, etc.

Also, Zach doesn't seem to eat much period - could he be whining because he's hungry? Sometimes a drink or healthy snack helps stop Marisa from whining/fussing.

IMO I'd be REALLY strick about Zach's dairy free diet for at least 2 weeks and see if it helps - at the same time realizing it won't be a cure-all and also focusing on really keeping Zach occupied and teaching him skills to ease his frustration. And like Stacy said, it's also important to focus on yourself, your marriage, etc. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #216 on: February 07, 2007, 16:43:16 pm »
Stacy:  The whining sounds like a motor cycle.  mmmmmmmm uuuuuuuuu mmmmmmmm (sometimes), sometimes he is pointing at something and wanting it and jsut whining and then sometimes he walks around holding his mouth whining in pain (teething). 

He aslo has "wet burps" still.  Not always, but sometimes.  You will here him burp and sounds like it comes up and he swallows it.  We have tried prevacid for 12 weeks and it did not help.

Karen:  I agree, I think alot of his whining is not eating.  He loves to snack, but hates to eat a meal.  Sometimes just out of the blue, he starts whining really loud (almost screaming) adn runs in the kitchen and points to the cabinet.  I do give him a cracker or apples or something and it helps. 
I really want to try the MSPI free diet again, but Dh will not do it and he thinks I am just looking for an excuse.  He does not think his stomach hurts at all. 
So......  Just hard..... 

Anyhow today this is what he has eaten:

Wake: 8 oz. Rice Milk
Breakfast: 2 bites of cereal (with rice milk), 1 bite of bagel with natural Peanute butter
Snack: 3 crackers, 2 oz. juice
Lunch:  5 french fries (at home) refused sandwich
NAP now....

Wendy -

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #217 on: February 07, 2007, 17:20:43 pm »
Stacy, Karen, Michelle:  I just went back and read through that post I started back in Novemebr "the test results are in".  It made me realize that I WAS doing the right thing with the MSP free diet. 

Zach's whine is sometimes just a normal whine I think, but he does it all day and does not sound the same all the time. 

I know when my tummy hurts or I have idegestion, you would not know it,  but I sure do.  I just sit there and make this whining noise, like ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm ....  Gosh,just like he does...

LADIES:  My husband is just going to have to kiss my a**, because I am not giving Zach any milk or soy at all for 1 month.  Hell, I am with him 24 hours a day anyhow.

I sware though, my whole family (mom, husband, sister) thinks I am stupid and not doing the right thing.  It is just hard when you don't have family support. 

BUT, this is the LAST damn time I am going to keep going back and forth.  The end!!!  I am sticking with it and I could care less what my family says...  In a few weeks, we will know for sure. 

To be honest I had forgot about how good he felt before when we stopped dairy and soy.  when he got that stomach virus and was in the hopsital, I just forgot everything and felt like I was back to square one.  After eading the post, now I realize how much it did help !!

Thanks everyone for kicking my butt in the right direction.

Wendy
Wendy -

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #218 on: February 07, 2007, 18:18:54 pm »
Wendy, I'm SO happy to hear it!!! Best of luck to you - stay strong and keep me posted - and feel free to PM me anytime if you have questions, want advice, recipes, etc. I know it's hard if family and friends don't support you but remember, we do! Also, if his reflux is bothering him (wet burps, etc) have you tried Mylanta Cherry Supreme?

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #219 on: February 07, 2007, 18:26:38 pm »
That is correct. Also, if I remember correctly, when Zach was on Prevacid, wasn't he on too low a dose and only once a day? I would do as you say and do the strict diet (really strict) for 1 month. If still seems like reflux is bothering him, then I'd push the GI doc and/or feeding clinic to restart the Prevacid 2xday at the correct dosage for his weight.

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #220 on: February 07, 2007, 18:30:18 pm »
Yeah he was on 15 mg. only once a day.  I still have about a 6 month supply left in my cabinet.  A friend of mine had 6 months worth left over that she ended up not needing and gave it to me.  So...... if I really wanted/needed to, I could start him on 2 x's  a day, but I am going to wait and see if the no dairy/soy helps again.

Stacy:  That is the sound that I make when I have acid reflux or a really sour stomach.  It does not feel good at all.

Wendy -

Offline Mom to M&M

• Cool dude!
« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2007, 00:22:51 am »
Good luck and keep us posted Wendy.

Today Marisa had:
- Breakfast: Oatmeal mixed with pear/raspberry puree, milk (4 ounces)
- Morning Snack: 1/4 whole wheat bagel toasted with butter, some Just Bananas, milk (3 ounces)
- Lunch: 1/3 uncured all beef hot dog, 1/2 yo-baby, milk (2 ounces)
- Afternoon snack: Diluted apple juice, half hard pretzel
- Dinner: Milk (4 ounces), 1.5 homemade meatballs (beef, about size small golf ball), few pieces spaghetti, 1 baby carrot, one cheese breadstick
- Bedtime: Milk (3 ounces)

binxyboo

« Reply #222 on: February 08, 2007, 01:33:30 am »
Riley had:

B'fast: Yoghurt (4 oz)
           Peach

Lunch: pasta and tofu

Dinner: mixed veggies & rice
           full banana + Cheerios for dessert

Snack: Ritz veggie crackers

Rice milk as well>

GO RILEY!!!!!

Offline Mydreamcametrue

« Reply #223 on: February 08, 2007, 18:16:49 pm »
So far today Zach has eaten:

Breakfast:  Organic Van's Bluberry Waffle (dairy/soy free) with safe butter- He ate the entire thing :) 
1/2 banana
Snack:  2 graham crackers
Snack again:  1/2 homemade banana/peach smoothie
napping now:  Will eat lunch once awake

Wendy -

Offline katriona

• where's me cuppa?
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • mmm... marmite!
    • find madeleine
« Reply #224 on: February 08, 2007, 20:35:11 pm »
wendy, just wanted to add to the PPs that we're here to support you in keeping zach MSP free even if your family and DH aren't. happy to kick your butt anytime  ;D :-* (and will now feel free to do so if i hear it's necessary!). seriously, *you're* the primary caretaker. *you* know what's right. how *can* your (D)H just not be bothered to do something when zach feels so poorly? it makes me want to cry.

please feel free to PM me any time you need support on this. you're a wonderful mum to be so concerned, and i so want you to have your happy little boy back again.

bear in mind that whiny is developmental too -- i keep hoping for my sunny little boy back, but i think we have one more eye tooth left before that happens.

big {{hugs}}

katy  :-*