Author Topic: 20 month old cannot sleep through without waking  (Read 1045 times)

Offline Nicolacatterall

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
20 month old cannot sleep through without waking
« on: January 09, 2006, 21:33:15 pm »
Our 20 month old sleeps soundly in his toddler bed from 7.30 (he asks to go to bed and falls asleep within 10 minutes) till midnight the wakes up every hour without fail.  :cry:  Sometimes he walks into our room and is happy to be put back, sometimes all he wants is a drink of water but needs it giving but the main problem is constant loud mutterings whilst seemingly asleep.  We have tried ignoring him for up to an hour but he will only settle after we talk to him or go in and cover him up or give him a drink.  This can go on 4 or 5 times a night or twice if we are lucky.  He has got worse the older he gets.
He is at home all day with me and his 3 year old brother and has about an hour to an hour and a half sleep in the morning (10 to 11) but I have  dropped his afternoon sleep hoping he would sleep better - but he does not. :oops:
He drinks a lot during the day (weak orange cordial) and has a healthy appitite and is very happy and lively (not hyper).
Any suggestions for a full nights sleep like his brother?
Nicola - proud mum of Jack and Toby

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 07:47:48 am »
I once read somewhere that the morning day time effect sleep midnight to dawn & the afternoon from bedtime to midnight... so if your lo is only having a nap in the am & awake all afternoon, that would cut into the awake time that promotes sleep in the second half of the night.
Most 20 month olds would be on one day sleep around noon/1pm for about 1.5- 2.5 hours. So I would suggest pushing his nap to noon at the earliest & then keeping him really active in the am to help promote good night sleep... I know with my 2.5 yo I get the best nights when he has busy mornings.
HTH
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 13:27:16 pm »
I agree with the previous post, however I'm going to move this post the the "Sleeping for Toddlers" Forum in the hopes that somone there may have a better idea how to help you out.
Kimberly

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 17:28:16 pm »
I would try and push his morning nap to the afternoon.  The long stretch before bed may be making him overtired.

Just a thought.
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com