Author Topic: Constipation?  (Read 824 times)

Offline mrs_kat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Constipation?
« on: January 10, 2006, 00:38:35 am »
Is it possible for a breast-fed baby to be constipated?  My nearly 5mo daughter usually has one BM a day, but hasn't had one in nearly three.  We haven't started any solids yet.  She gets maybe two or three bottles of formula per week, but hadn't had formula in the days before getting stopped up.   She's also been grumpier than usual which makes me wonder if her tummy's bothering her.  Any insights?

Kat
Baby Girl Kenzi - 8/12/05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
Constipation?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 01:05:47 am »
Has she been teething and therefore maybe nursing less lately?  If she's got less fluids going it, that could make her a bit stopped up - as could a bug.  It's not harmful to go that long (some babies go longer regularly), but she might be getting uncomfortable.  Keep nursing, try a warm bath and some gentle tummy massage.  If it goes more than a week, you might want to see a doctor - or if there are other changes or symptoms.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline mrs_kat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Constipation?
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 23:07:10 pm »
Thanks for the info.  Her intake seems to be the same, so I don't think she's dehydrated.  I gave a tummy massage last night, which she really enjoyed so maybe I'll add that into the bedtime routine. 

This morning she had a major blowout, and it really seemed like all four days' worth came out at once!  Fortunately, I was on the phone long distance so dh got to take care of it.  Hee hee.  I hope this isn't the new stooling pattern - I'll be afraid to take her anywhere by day 4!  Thanks again for responding.

Kat
Baby Girl Kenzi - 8/12/05

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Showing Appreciation 188
Constipation?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 00:46:10 am »
Quote from: mrs_kat
Fortunately, I was on the phone long distance so dh got to take care of it.  Hee hee. 
:lol: Let's hear it for Daddy!
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline Katet

• Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
Constipation?
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 23:28:43 pm »
my ds #2 used to go up to 2 weeks, I used to get scared of going out after 10 days  :lol:  It is normal for a bf baby as they can acutally use all the milk you give & have very little waste.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05