Author Topic: Need activity time help!  (Read 1156 times)

Offline charleesmom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Need activity time help!
« on: January 10, 2006, 03:28:37 am »
Could a few of you post what you do during your activity times throughout the day.
My DD is not taking to anything I try.  She just wants me to hold her and touch everything. 
I give her a toy and she throws it.
I put her in her Jumperoo and she stands there staring at me.

HELP!
Charlee's Mom :)
http://lilypie.com">Lilypie Baby Pic" border="0Lilypie Baby Ticker" border="0

Offline TayTay'smummy

• Showing Appreciation 1
Need activity time help!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 03:44:20 am »
What a cute little girl ? How old is little charlee? If she's too young, she may not be ready for the jumperoo or to fully explore her toys. I know my lo needs lots of encouragement and when she does make the attempt to grab a toy and play which she just started doing, they I make a huge deal about it. 

I find the gymini a godsend, it encourages them to play and teaches them cause and effect. I put her under there for her diaper changes since day one and she spends lots of time kicking and swatting. Exersaucers are good. Jolly jumpers are lots of fun when there about 3 1/2 months, before that she didn't seem to know what to do.  Really light rattles that are easy to hold are great, anything heavier or cumbersome don't work out. As for the flashy light up toys that are complicated, she has not interest in them yet, I think that's more about six months.  Other stuff we do, sing wheels on the bus, itsy bitsy spider, this little piggy, patty cake. I read books to her. She watches baby einstein videos from time to time. I try and teach her to roll over and spend hours on the carpet with her!
Mirrors are great too, mobiles are wonderful! Wow .. I got carried away! 

Anyways, hope that helps, once again her age plays a big factor. Have fun!
Mummy to Miss Taylor (Born Sept.14/05)

Offline charleesmom

• Showing Appreciation 0
Need activity time help!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 03:50:18 am »
Charlee is 6 months 6 days.
She is no longer interested in her gymni.
She roles over already and can sit up pretty well.
All her smaller toys she seems to be board with.
When I sing - she laughs - so that works but only for about a 1/2 hour and if I try it again during the day she isn't interested.
If I try to read all she wants to do is eat the book and when I try to keep it from her so I can read it she get's upset.

Could I be trying to hard to entertain her?
How many toys should they play with throughout a day?
Charlee's Mom :)
http://lilypie.com">Lilypie Baby Pic" border="0Lilypie Baby Ticker" border="0

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Need activity time help!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 04:05:26 am »
olivia won't let me read to her either - i just let her explore board books on her own (ones with textures are great) and hope she is listening when i sit and read to her or her sister (while liv plays)

6 mo - let's see
stuffed toys that have textures, sounds, crinkle bits etc to explore what it is all about
stacking rings - not to stack yet but to take off the pole, start bangig together, etc
peek-a-blocks
FP toy phone
balls of all sizes and textures (we have big and small regular balls, one that is a chime ball, 1 that has bumps all over it, etc)
an activity centre and / or exercsaucer
musical toys: maracas, xylephone/piano, tambourine etc
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Need activity time help!
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 04:17:04 am »
What about those activity centers for sitters.  They have hanging things that baby can grab, or swat at and play music etc.  You may just have to change the activities from those on the floor, to those at her eye level.  Also, what do you do when she throws the toy?  Do you think she is doing it purposely to get you to fetch it, or is she upset when she throws it?  You say she enjoys singing, have you explored maybe taking a music class?  Or even putting the radio or CD on and banging on pots and pans to make music.  Give her a wooden spoon and a pot or pan and sit with her while you both make "music".  Toy piano's can be fun too, or we have this Plush Dog that you can squeeze pretty much any part of him and he plays songs and talks about the parts you are touching.