Author Topic: WHY is the waking at 5am? Please help....  (Read 1346 times)

Offline PoppetK

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
WHY is the waking at 5am? Please help....
« on: January 10, 2006, 05:13:45 am »
Over the last 2 weeks my son (who is 16 weeks old) has began waking at 5am after previously going from 7:30pm - 7:00am.

To begin with he just shouts for 40 mins of so which I've been letting him do in the hope that he'll settle himself but I've found that then he's been winding himself up and just won't settle at all then.  I find I'm back and forth his room like a yo-yo trying to get him to settle until it's 7am when my husband gets up with him and I can get back to bed for a few hours.

Just now, I heared him awake so went in before he cried, reswaddled him and have him his pacifier and it looks like he's gone straight back off with the minimum of fuss (fingers crossed, he's been quiet for 10 mins!).  I don't want to be doing this all the time as he's going to become dependent on it but the leaving him to settle himself approach really isn't working.

I really can't work out why he's waking.  He's not hungry, cold, dirty nappy etc.   My husband works away from home a lot and I find it a real struggle to function when I don't get to bed until after the 11pm dreamfeed and then am up from 5am onwards.

Please help me figure out why he's waking  :(

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 09:30:19 am »
Often when they start waking early it is a sign that they need a longer awake time in the day & a bit more stimulation during the day time, so try "extending" his awake time by 5-10mins & giving him more tummy time/ songs etc  in the first  1-2 A times

HTH
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline MCGoldsmith

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 19:03:09 pm »
Also.. if it's 5:00 every morning he could just be "stuck" waking up out of habit. Have you tried wake to sleep? It worked miracles for us. Try setting your alarm for 4:00am and go in, jostle him a bit by rubbing his tummy and insert his paci then leave the room. I was so hesitant to try it but am sooo glad we did!
Meredith