Author Topic: Help! My spirtited DS is driving me nuts!  (Read 1204 times)

Offline mstormin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! My spirtited DS is driving me nuts!
« on: January 25, 2006, 23:24:21 pm »
DS is 6.5mos old... lately I've been going nuts.  I just can't seem to keep him happy...the only time he seems to be happy is when he's in my arms (which is obviously imposssible to do all day long!).  He'll usually play on the floor (he LOVES to crawl and explore) happily for about 15min and then starts to get bored/fussy.  He doesn't like ANY of his other toys-- exersaucer, jumper, bumbo seat, etc. so after he's done crawling around he just wants to be held and played with.
Obviously I love my son and want to play/hold him, but I can't always do this and I also want to teach him how to play/entertain himself.

He's a spirited little guy and is very active (he started crawling before he was 6mos old) and he's on an EASY schedule with 2-3 naps a day (depending on how long they are).

Any suggestions??
TIA!

Nikki~Nathanamp;Danielle

Re: Help! My spirtited DS is driving me nuts!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 20:23:56 pm »
He sounds all very normal.  :)  It is tiring, but I think it's great that he's willing to explore on his own for 15mins.  Keep doing what you're doing.  He is actually being independent by being off by himself for that amount of time.  The way for him to actually grow independently is to know that you ARE there for him as he needs it and then he'll continue to go off and do his thing because he's safe in knowing you're there as needed.  Has he got the whole house to explore?  Maybe set up a little discovery trail or something for him to amuse himself with while crawling, cushions to crawl over, tunnels to go through, crunchy paper to screw up, pots and pans to bang things in.  It takes a bit of creativity I know.  Have him explore the different rooms you're in while doing chores or whatever you need to be doing and involve him as much as possible.  In the kitchen I set up a drawer with my ds's cups/bowls etc and some toys that he could access and play with when I was in there. 

My ds was way over the jumper by the time he was crawling at 7mths, I packed it away, life was for exploring not being contained - my dd, well she still enjoys hers at almost 10mths. 

HTH :)

Offline Mommy in Moose Jaw

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Re: Help! My spirtited DS is driving me nuts!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 01:06:54 am »
Hmmm.  I just posted something similar.  DD is 6 months old and suddenly the same way!  Only, she doesn't even roll over yet!  I was getting very frustrated as she is most content moving around the house in someone's arms.  Not an easy feat with a nearly 20 pound baby!  She is showing more spirited tendencies as she grows.  Is the consensus that this is the status quo for the time being?