Author Topic: Not sure what to do  (Read 968 times)

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Not sure what to do
« on: January 10, 2006, 15:40:33 pm »
I am not quite sure what DS is doing. He is just a few days short of 5 months and EBF at daycare for 3 bottles and nurses in am and evening one time each- which has since 8 weeks been good for him. We are having a lot of problems iwth night-time awakenings and early awakenings. He had a rough cold around Thanksgiving that needed nebs and steroids- so he was out of his cycle for that. Then we headed to in-laws for holidays and took away his pacifier- he survived that. I thought it was an early/late growth spurt...but it has lasted for more than just a couple of days. My supply is fairly stable- so I don't think that's it. although he does seem to nurse more on weekends and he gets frustrated b/c the supply just isn't there when he decides he wants an additional 2/3 nursings- but I don't think he is nursing out of hunger- I think he uses it to rest (since he doesn't nap very well). I am posting here b/c I am thinking of starting him on cereal. I am hesitant b/c he has a milk allergy/insensitivity and was wanting to hold off solids until 6 months. He wakes up hungry in am--- usually I awake him at 6. But last 2 days he has woken up at 4:30 or so...and doesn't go back to sleep. Never did DF with him...just didn't work. He is a poor napper and when he is asleep...he's nearly unconscious he's so deep asleep. His last feed is at 5:30 and its bedtime right after. Any thoughts? I've seen alot of complaints of poor sleep at 4/5 month age...maybe its just a developmental phase? Thanks.
Jeni

Offline Erin M

• The Sentinel
  • Global Moderator
  • Showing Appreciation 521
Not sure what to do
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 19:39:02 pm »
Do you feed him when he wakes up in the night? If you do, does he take a full feed and act hungry or does he just suck for a few minutes to get back to sleep?  If he's taking a full feed, he's probably hungry.  If not, then something else is bothering him.  How big are his daycare bottles?  At 5 months, my DD was nursing 5 times a day, so it seems like it cound be enough. 

Early awakenings are not totally unheard of at this age - and for my DD, early awakenings at this point turned out to be due to teething.  If it's a hunger issue, you'll have to figure out how to get more calories in him during the day - I can certainly understand wanting to hold off on solids if you have allergies in the family - maybe cluster feeding would help? 

Good luck!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Not sure what to do
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 19:51:53 pm »
Mine both woke at that age due to teething/developmental. It was bad right before independent sitting up started, and again when scooting/crawling happened.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline jbepko

• Showing Appreciation 32
Not sure what to do
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 02:14:06 am »
I usually don't nurse right away for night-time awakenings...only if shh/pat is failing and he needs to be calmed down or he is acting hungry. His bottles are 5oz- which should be enough. I'm pretty sure he's not teething...but only time will tell. Hoping its developmental and passes soon.
Jeni