Author Topic: DD wants to sleep through morning feed  (Read 998 times)

Offline scurrie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
DD wants to sleep through morning feed
« on: January 10, 2006, 17:36:19 pm »
I have been trying to estabish EASY with my 1 month old DD but am finding that she wants to sleep through her second feed of the day. I am waking her at 7:30am and she eats well and then has activity for about 1 hour before she begins to yawn. When it comes time for the 10:30 feed, she will not rouse. I try to gently wake her by unswaddling her, stroking her face, walking my fingers up her back, but nothing works.

I feed her to keep to the routine (though I don't think she is getting a full feed) and then usually change her diaper, which may wake her a little if I am lucky. However I find that she never truly wakes and after about 30 mins of trying, I end up putting her back in her crib. 

She then wakes up about an hour before the next feed and wants to eat.  I try to stretch her out to at least the 2.5 hour mark, but that is very difficult.  Now she wants to be up for a much longer stretch - almost 1.5 hours, and ends up having only a small 45 min nap before it is time for the next feed.

The past few days she is so out of sync in the afternoon, that she becomes overtired and will not settle at all after her 8 pm cluster feed. She wants to be awake, and even when she begins to yawn, she is too tired to easily settle and go to sleep.  I can't even do a dream feed between 10 - 11 pm because by then she has started a screaming/crying fit. We have had a couple of night where these fits last for 3 -4 hours. This means she doesn't fall asleep until around 1 am and therefore she is tired in the morning.

How do we break this cycle? Should I let her sleep an extra 30 mins between the first two feeds so that she is ready to have the second feed?

Thanks
Stephanie

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 17:56:10 pm »
Hello  :)
That is absolutely OK.  And if 3.5 hrs isn't working, I would try letting her sleep til the 4 hr mark.  :D

For the evenings, maybe try doing the clusterfeeds at around 5 and 7 and then bedtime.  It sounds like she may be getting overtired by 8pm.

HTH and let us know if there are any more questions.  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline scurrie

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 21:14:28 pm »
I have been a bit concerned to try this because we have had so many bad nights and they are starting to take their toll. However, my first DD put herself on a 4 hour routine from practically day one.

I will try to cluster feed at the 5 and 7 pm as suggested so that we can get her off to bed before 8 pm.