Author Topic: HELP! Twins hit 6mnths now waking several times a night  (Read 1750 times)

Offline hallas

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
HELP! Twins hit 6mnths now waking several times a night
« on: January 11, 2006, 12:00:41 pm »
Hi

I thought I was doing quite well as I managed to get my Twins to sleep from 8pm-7am by 3mnths of age. At 6mnths now all hell has broken loose! They are both now waking several times a night.

I give them water, but they only take an once or so ( have also tried milk. but not as 1st option as don't want to encorage bad habits, they have a dream feed but take mininal amounts). They have never had problems falling to sleep in the cot, no rocking etc etc (only swaddling which I have now stopped).

I am still on a structured routine ( but yes there have been changes as I have started weaning now) but I feel like I'm loosing control and worried that all my hard work will go to waste.

Is there anything I should do to help them sleep through the night again?

Sonia

Offline woopster

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 12:48:49 pm »
Hi Sonia,
Are they in separate cots?
It could well be developmental, have they learnt anything new recently?
I think they also hit a major growth spurt at this age too, add to that teething, maybe coming down with a cold...
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline M&M'sMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/t/thomastwinsicles/
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 16:33:44 pm »
I agree with Wendy, all those things caused wake-ups with my girls too. Teeth... teeth cause them to wake a few times at night, and a nice warm bottle helped settle them (along with either tylenol, oragel,or homeoathic meds...). A surprize growth spurt??? Watch for another one at 9 months too... that one even caught me off gaurd!

Good luck, keep us updated

Jods
Maisie Lyn Caroline (angel)
March 19/05 6:16 am
Makaylee Lyn Jennifer (angel)
March 19/05 6:21 am

Offline hallas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 18:48:47 pm »
Thanks for the reply,

What would be the best advise at this time then? 

Should I just grin and bear it with the hope that they will eventually start sleeping through the night again.

Is there anything I should avoid or should do to ensure they get back on track?

Thnx

Sonia

Offline woopster

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 22:25:46 pm »
It could be hunger.  You say you've just started weaning?
That could throw things off balance. Will they take more milk at night?
I've had to feed mine the last couple of nights - they were going through - they have just started weaning proper.
It shouldn't become a habit if it's only a couple of times. (she says with fingers crossed!)
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)

Offline magicbelly

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 03:45:10 am »
HAVE A LOOK AT CONVERSATION "WHY DOES HER SLEEP SUCK BETWEEN 2-5AM". THERE IS RUNNING DIALOGUE AND LOTS OF US ARE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AROUND 5.5MTHS. ONE LADY ALSO HAS TWINS. READING TRACEY'S SLEEP INTERVIEW IT APPEARS TO BE A DEVELOPMENTAL GROWTH SPURT AT THIS AGE LEADING TO HUNGER (AMONGST OTHER THINGS). SHE SUGGESTS TOPPING UP DURING THE DAY. I STARTED DF AND THIS SEEMS TO BE GETTING MY 5.5 BACK ON TRACK.
I ADMIRE YOU WITH TWINS - DOUBLE TROUBLE.

Offline hallas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 15:12:58 pm »
Thnx Guys,

Yhis is really helping me out.  I don't want to speak too soon but, last night was better as the twins only got up once at 4.30am, gave them milk, both took it and settled back again. 

I try and increase the food/milk in the day, but they take what they want, sometimes all of it sometimes only half, I can't really force them even if I try!

How many times can I afford to feed at night before it becomes a habit?  I have tried offering  water but they jsut wake shortly after.

Sonia

Offline magicbelly

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 4
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 04:54:16 am »
From my experience and also Tracey suggests habits form in as little at 3 days. If they are taking full feeds in the middle of the night they must be hungry so feed them and i wouldnt worry about the habit forming until you can slowely up the daytime calories. after this if they continue waking around the same time for smaller feeds i would say a habit is forming and to nip it in the bud by refusing to feed or push it later and later. it is hard to assess at 4am in the morning. all the best.

FrasersMum

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 08:09:16 am »
Hi Sonia

It sounds like things are improving with your twins. 

Magicbelly is correct in saying a habit can form in as little as 3 days.  If it is a growth spurt, you need to up those daytime calories as much as you can - adding milk to solids if they are taking solids, extra bottles just to get those extra calories in.  Then consolidate into you routine once you are getting that extra milk in.

Also, as pp's have said, there are often developmental wakings at around this time.  Keep consistent and you will ride it out.

Good luck