Author Topic: Need more frequent feedings?  (Read 910 times)

Offline elizjax

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 11, 2006, 14:58:23 pm »
My son is almost 12 weeks and suddenly is waking every 4 hrs. at night to eat (he was going 5-6 hrs). He is really hungry, almost taking a full feed. I know this means he needs more calories during the day, but how do I do that? He eats every 3 hrs during the day, I cluster feed in the evening and dream feed. Should I feed him more frequently during the day? When he does feed, he usually spends 20-30 minutes at the breast and appears satisfied when finished. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Need more frequent feedings?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 19:31:19 pm »
It could be his 12 week growth spurt. I would feed more frequently for a few days (when he's hungry) and let that increase your milk supply to meet his new needs. Let's see if it passes, ok?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline elizjax

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 22:38:02 pm »
I thought it was just a spurt too, but this is day 14 so I'm no longer thinking that. Plus, he's had growth spurts in the past and this seems different.

Offline dannygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 23:32:43 pm »
Hi,
My DD is going through the same thing, but it has only been a week since it started, I tried feeding her every two hours instead of 3 but it doesn't seem to help. I think it has something to do with her growth spurt.
She use to eat once a night, at about 5 am, and then sleep till 8am. But now she is waking at 3, 5, 7 and then sleeps till 9.
I think she got use to waking at those times in the night and now does it out of habit. But she still acts as if she needs to eat, she won't resettle till I feed her.And she doesn't even take a full feeding, she only eats for like 5 or 10 minutes, her normal full feeding is about 20.
I have tried cluster feeding starting at about 6 but that doesn't seem to help her sleep  longer.
 Has your son already gone through his growth spurt?? It could somehow be related
Kaylene
Allison 10/20/05

Offline elizjax

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 00:21:06 am »
I haven't really seen the true 12 week growth spurt...yet! It's just crazy at night, I just can't fill him up. He'd like to eat from 6-8:30 non-stop. Then gets a bottle at midnight and will be up at 3:00. I think he too has gotten used to waking up b/c one or twice I've been able to not feed him and get him back to sleep, although it doesn't last very long!

I'm hoping it's just growth spurt that will die down soon!

Offline dannygirl

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2006, 00:27:02 am »
How much does he eat at one feeding?? A couple of times my milk supply has gone down and i mixed formula with expressed milk and it helped Allison out alot. It was recomended by a friend of mine. She said the milk helps with digestion of formula, but that the formula helps her get the calories she needs.  Other then those couple of times Allison is always BF
Kaylene
Allison 10/20/05

Offline elizjax

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2006, 15:44:13 pm »
I have no milk supply issues, in fact I have oversupply! Typically, if he gets a bottle  he will take 4 1/2 oz at a time, sometimes at night if he's really hungry at the most 5 oz.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 01:34:54 am »
Gosh, that is a great night for a 3 month old! There will always be night wakings, I'm afraid to say, we are parents 24 hrs a day. We just hope to minimize them, right?  :wink:  Last night my near-3-yr-old woke me up twice singing "MOOOMMMMMEEEEEE, I have to POOOOPPPEEEE!" LOL  :lol:  :roll:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline elizjax

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 23:11:59 pm »
I agree! I think he sleeps well, in fact last night he woke at 4:00 but put himself back to sleep and I woke him around 7am. Fingers crossed that we may have broken the waking habit!