Author Topic: nursing and 3-4 hour EASY  (Read 1107 times)

Offline jdarcy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 11, 2006, 16:56:22 pm »
Has anyone else found that their breastfed baby cannot last the 3 or 4 hours between feeds?  For the first 6 weeks, ds was all over the place from 1.5 to 3 hours (some of that may have been misinterpreting cues, but often he was definitely hungry); he was over 8lbs at birth so not a weight issue.  After the 6-week point he settled into a 2.5-hour cycle but was 12 weeks before he could go for 3 hours -- and that not all the time.  Now at 15 weeks, he usually goes for 3 hours until late afternoon when he goes back to 2.5 hours or even 2 (naturally tanking himself up before bed maybe?).  He doesn't seem anywhere near ready to transition to a 4-hour routine.

I'm wondering if other moms had the same experience?  It's starting to seem like BW is more geared toward formula fed infants...

Offline Emerald

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 18:18:41 pm »
I agree.  My son is 4 1/2 months old.  As a newborn, he ate every 3 hours on his own which was amazing to me.  I exclusively breastfeed.  Lately, though, he's been eating every 2 hours.  He was average size at birth (7.7 lbs.) and is now 13 lbs. & 25 inches long.  I just picked up Tracy's book again (the newest one) and was reading and wondering the same thing..........that the E in easy for a four month old is more for formula fed babies.  I can not see my son eating every 4 hours and I can't see myself trying to hold him off by offering him a toy.  My pediatrician says that b'fed babies still eat 6 -8 times per 24 hours.

Anyone else?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
nursing and 3-4 hour EASY
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 19:38:08 pm »
Yep, you can listen to your baby and go at the EASY schedule that works for them. One thing I've noticed about the 4 hr schedule is that awake time usually determines when the switch is right. My ds couldn't stay awake long enough for a 4 hr schedule until nearly 8 months old.

Plus, the more feeds during the day, the less USUALLY needed at night.  :wink:
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

annamum

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2006, 00:05:41 am »
You are right! My dd seemed to need nursing more like every 2 to 2.5 hours at the beginning and she was able to go to 3 hours when she was older, perhaps at 4.5 months.

Many babies naturally cluster feed in the afternoons, the reason may be to get their calories before sleep or maybe because your supply is lower in the afternoon/evening. Do what is natural for your baby and you can still have an EASY but shorter, that's how we did it.

Offline jdarcy

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2006, 17:10:57 pm »
Glad to know this is normal! :-)

Offline Cilla

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Proud mom of Ivey
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2006, 06:07:28 am »
My daughter has been bf from the beginning, and at a little over 2 months, still usually eats every 2 hours. At night she goes longer and can sometimes go 5-6 hours. But when she feeds after that long acts starving and eats good then goes back to bed for the rest of the night, then starts the 2 sometimes 3 hours between feedings again in the morning. I just try to do EAS for her on her timing(usually 2-3 hours)