Author Topic: I think I have a snacker...  (Read 836 times)

Offline ava's maman

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: January 11, 2006, 19:22:18 pm »
Ok so I think DD is just now coming out of her growth spurt - she is 11.5 weeks old and for the past week or so has been eating almost every hour during the day and every two at night when she used to be able to go 3 hours during the day and 4 to 5 at night.  I think she is finishing her growth spurt because she doesn't ask to feed as much today but I have noticed in the past few days that she will be screaming bloody murder for a feeding - to check I give her a finger and if she latches on and sucks I feed her.  Anyways, she will eat for just a few minutes and then she will be done, or will start 'playing' around with the nipple.  Sometimes though she will eat for her usual time - usually it takes her 15 min on one boob to be satisfied with a full feeding.

So, is it because she is still in a growth spurt she needs to eat all the time but just for a few minutes, or has she developed a case of 'the snacker', which if so, how do I get her back to eating longer and longer stretches?

Offline kim&savannah

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 80
I think I have a snacker...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2006, 00:24:14 am »
How often is she wanting to eat?  They do get more and more efficient, so if she's able to go long periods in between, she could just be getting faster.  But if she's wanting to eat every hour, then she may have just gotten in the habit.  With my dd, I just tried to stretch her a little longer--if there is something you can keep her distracted with for a bit, that might help.  we went outside and took a walk sometimes which could delay until a little closer to when she should need to eat again.

Good luck.

~Kim
~Kim

Savannah,  6/04
Abraham,   11/06
Henry, 5/8/11

Offline debbieforbeck

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
I had a snacker too
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 01:31:47 am »
My lo was a snacker too because I didn't know about the 4 hr EASY method until late.  Get Tracy's latest book and follow her program to the letter to get your 4month old onto a  4hr EASY routine.  It was a horrible transition period at the beginning for me.  They will cry-  A LOT.  And with PU/PD it is horrible on your ears.  But, in the end, it worked like a charm.  My lo was hungry enough the next feeding to eat a full meal.  Eventually she got used to doing that for each feeding.  And finally, she fell into the 4hr routine.  By the way, Tracy's book had some typos... PM me if you want to know how I interpreted the mistakes.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Re: I had a snacker too
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 01:58:03 am »
Quote from: debbieforbeck
PM me if you want to know how I interpreted the mistakes.

:?: What is that supposed to mean?

To the OP, why not wait a couple days and see if you can't work her back out to 3 hrly EASY? If the growth spurt is ending, you should be able to do this. I NEVER recommend a 4 hrly for a baby this young, 4 hrly is for a baby who can stay awake about 1.5-2hrs.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline yaya

• Showing Appreciation 236
  • BW Xmas mummies
I think I have a snacker...
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 10:01:00 am »
My 12 week old is doing the same thing, I figured it must be linked  to a growth spurt but shouldnt he ne eating more instead of less??? I think my lo is also gettign into the habit of snacking altho he rarely seems hungry during the day and is starvign at night very unusual!!