Author Topic: 6 Months and decreased supply  (Read 779 times)

Offline chargerfans

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Daniel's Mama
« on: January 11, 2006, 19:56:04 pm »
My son is 6 months. He has just started waking only once a night. I used to wake up extremly full and ready to explode (since he only nursed on one side at night). This weekend I didn't wake up like that once. And I work full time and I pump 3 times while at work. I used to get at least 8 or more at 7 am, 5-6 and 10 am and then 4-5 at 1 pm. All this week I am only getting 4-5 at each pumping. And I don't feel full anymore - ever. He has been eating twice at night the past few nights and he is eating (on avg) only 12-15 oz while I am at work. Then he nurses 2 times before bed. He is on rice cereal twice a day. Starting solids this weekend.

Is my body just adjusting or should I be concerned? I used to have one big producer but now that side is at 3-4 oz max!

I am watching my food but eat well and balanced and I exercise as well. I do drink a ton of water

Offline Erin (redstarfalling)

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 188
6 Months and decreased supply
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 01:00:44 am »
Could be a couple of things.  Yes, your breasts may just be levelling out.  It could also be a decrease in supply - have you had your period yet? A lot of moms seem to get it around 6 months.  Also, there is often a 6 month growth spurt, so his needs might have increased.  Finally, a lot of moms who pump so much find that they need to pump EXTRA to get the same amount that just nursing would give them - the stimulation by the pump isn't as good as nursing.  You might want to try pumping an extra time at work (if you can).  Or you could try taking a "nursing holiday" - take an extra couple of days off (if you can) and just nurse to really stimulate supply. If supply really is the issue too, you could try taking fenugreek and blessed thistle to help production.
Erin
Mother to Megan and Samantha

Offline chargerfans

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 3
  • Daniel's Mama
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2006, 14:41:15 pm »
No I have not gotten my period back. I am also on the IUD so don't know if I will. He seems to be content. He has started to wake up twice a night for the past few nights but he is also not wanting to drink his 3 bottles while I am at work. He is having less than normal so I just figured he was waking up more because he is not getting enough during the day. About a week ago he got up 3-4 times a night, starving and that lasted for about 3 days. Then he went to once a night for a week or so and now twice a night. When I am off on the weekends I strictly nurse. I have been having 3 day weekends for the past 3 weeks and just nursing. Who knows... I won't be able to pump more here at work. Pumping three times already gets me the evil stares! I guess I could try pumping again after he goes to bed at night...

Should I be concerned only if he seems like he isn't getting enough? When I nurse on the weekends he stays on a 3-4 hour schedule and seems fine.

We went to a breastfeeding support group on Monday and he sucked down 3.5 oz in 5 mins so maybe I am just leveling out...