Author Topic: standing at crib with screaming toddler at 3 am  (Read 1809 times)

Offline mango_baby

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
standing at crib with screaming toddler at 3 am
« on: January 11, 2006, 20:44:53 pm »
My extremely spirited, touchy little one was taught using Tracy's put down method 6 months ago. I am not saying it didn't work,( although the first night he had a trantum for 3 hours) he actually began sleeping in his crib for lengths of time never before ( 1 hour naps instead of 20 min.) Night times were better too, I felt like a new woman when he didn't wake up every 40 min after putting him down. I stopped all night feedings until his wake up at about 6am. He still has always woken up at some point during the night. Now after 1 1/2 years of full night sleep I can count on one hand I need help!!!
I worked so hard 6 months ago, and little by little as I was so tired I began taking him out of his crib so I would not have to stand at his crib, with my back killing until he went back to sleep. I knew I was doing accidental parenting. I only did it a few times.But, of course at his age, 17 months, he quickly caught on. A couple of times I even nursed him I was so beside myself for sleep at night.
Now I am going back to put down and he is literally screaming for 3 to 4 hours straight. He is mad I won't take him out, tried to bite be, hit me, arches his back etc. I eventually end up in tears, despit always begining the episode remaining calm and telling myself i can make it through this, and maybe he will just setle back down.My partner cannot go, he has never even put him to bed (works 6am to 1030 pm) so if he does go my little one goes even more crazy. I have company in our home for the next 3 months and I feel bad for them right now too.
I understand things are going on right now for him, teething, seperation anxiety, etc. But I believe this has mostly to do with how stubbored natured he is. He will put up a fight and generally I can too. But now when its from 2 to 6 am I start to die out somewhere in the middle. This am it was 6 am and he hadn't eaten since 6 30 the night before, so out of pure exhaustion I nursed him and he went right back to sleep.

What on earth do I do. Do I completely changed around his bedtime routine, bath, books, milk, bed? should I give him milk before his bath. Is it okay to do a big change like that (especially when he is sooo sensitiveto any little change) Do I just keep doing this until he gives up? Should I do the timed leaving his room at bedtime is place of milk, or put down again? I need to sleep now and I need some help. Please.

Thank you,
Melissa

FrasersMum

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2006, 08:50:30 am »
Hi Melissa

I notice you have been getting some help on the Sleeping for Toddlers board.

Please let us know if you have any other questions

Cheers!
Jo

Offline mango_baby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 22:49:50 pm »
Jo,
Thanx for noticing. I was starting to feel very alone. I need help so badly I posted my dilemna is more than one subject forum. Thanks to Sarah,  she is helping me through, although she isn't feeling well right now. I hate to bother her with this as I do have more questions. Would you mind checking out my latest posting on the toddler board?
If you can, I'd appreciate it.
Melissa

FrasersMum

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2006, 23:53:36 pm »
Hi Melissa

I'll have a look at it an offer any suggestions I can - you'll notice though that my DS is only 9 and a half months so I don't really have any experience with toddlers (yet!!  :D )  If I can add anything I'll post it there.

Good luck!
Jo

Offline mango_baby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 04:12:14 am »
Ahhh, yes, so he is 9 months. Seems like yesterday. No worries. Thank you for caring anyway.
Maybe I can help you with something at the moment?
Let me know.

Melissa

Offline NKmommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 45
  • AKA Nathan'smommy
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 04:34:50 am »
Hi Melissa,
I am so sorry that things are so tough.  I understand the exhaustion.  It sure does take its toll, especially with a lo screaming for hours at night...   :(   I have a very spirited, very touchy lo, and separation anxiety has become a huge issue for us, too.  If PD and extended bedtime routines don't help, there are a couple things that have worked for us to allow me to get some sleep while trying not to accidental parent.  Am I correct in that he is content if sleeping with you?  I pulled a mattress into ds' room, and would sleep beside his crib for a while.  When he would cry, I would touch his hand, and say "Go night night."  Another thing I did (I think Tracey suggested this) was crawl in the crib with him.  I found that I only needed to do it for a few nights, and I definitely didn't want it to become a prop. 

{{{HUGS}}}, Melissa.  Keep us posted with how things are going...
Sheila
ng

Offline mango_baby

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 18:46:32 pm »
Hi,
Thanks for your support and caring !!
Yes, of course he is happy sleeping with me, although I have never allowed this to happen. I only knew what would come of it. He does definitely want me close to him and if I am not right by his side where he can see me when he is falling asleep, he hates it. He sleeps in our room so our bed is just a few feet from his crib anyway. I have recently tried leaving the room and he went crazy near the end (2 1/2 hours later). I ended up having to put my hand on his back at the end anyway. ( all that for nothing)
It just seems he need me near to him whenever sleep is what is going on.
and trying to change this is sooo difficult. I have been with half of my body in the crib and everything. I just don't know when the day will come when I can just lay him down and he can sooth himself to sleep.
It seems like never after all this time.

I'll keep trying, thank you for your encouragement.

melissa