Author Topic: DS with no appetite and poor weight gain  (Read 1476 times)

Offline AlecsMom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
DS with no appetite and poor weight gain
« on: January 12, 2006, 01:31:42 am »
Code: [Select]
My ds is 9 weeks old. He is an angel baby who rarely fusses or cries. For the last 6 weeks we have struggled with his feedings. The doctor and I believe that he has reflux and dysphagia (swallowing disorder). He is currently taking pepcid, mylicon and I add 2 tbsp rice cereal to 4 oz of Similac Advance formula. The reflux and dysphagia are now under control and tolerable.

The problem is that my ds does not have an appetite. He has been this way since birth. As a result, he has had slow if not poor weight gain. He was a large baby at birth 9lb 11oz. However, in 9 weeks he has only gained 2.5 lbs. In the last 3 weeks he has only gained 7 oz. He only eats around 14-17oz a day. From everything that I have read, this is not nearly enough for a 12lb baby. He eats 2-3 oz about every 3-4 hours for 5-6 feeds per day. His feeds take anywhere from 10-90 minutes. He sleeps 6-9 hours at night. He had his 2 month checkup today and he seems to be hitting all the milestones (holding head up, cooing etc.). Today, the doctor told me to mix 3 scoops formula for 5 oz water (rather than 6) for additional calories for weight gain.

I am concerned that he will have future problems due to the poor weight gain. I am also worried about other possible problems that have not been diagnosed. He seems to be doing well with regard to the reflux and dysphagia so I don't think that is the cause of his poor appetite. Looking for some insight if you have experienced this or know someone who has. Looking for some peace of mind - is this "normal"? Will he be OK even with such poor weight gain? Any help is appreciated!

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 14:03:01 pm »
{{HUGSS}} to you

Sorry you're having a tough time of things. I haven't really got any direct advice apart from to say follow what your Doc has said about the formula.

Some babies just have small appetites (just like some adults have small appetites) so it could just be that your lo falls into that category.

Unless your paed raises concerns about his weigh and as long as he's otherwise happy and health (which it sounds like he is apart from the reflux) then try not to stress out too much. If you're anxious about the amount he's eating then chances are he'll pick up on that at his feeds and take less because if it.

Try to keep his feeds relaxed and low key.

HTH

love
Marie

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 00:52:06 am »
i have the same problem with DS :( , he's weighting arround 12 pounds and he is 11 WO (he has gained 2 pounds since his last doctor visit, which was 3 weeks ago, i think this is GREAT :D ), he has 6 feeds every day but he should be eating 6 oz and the best i can get him to eat are from 2.5 to 5 oz max :?. So i dont know what to do. I have a doctor visit in 9 days, let's hope he can give me some tips for that issue.... i will tell you all about it when i go, but for the meantime, if you have any advice it would be GREAT! :!:

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 01:16:13 am »
Hi  :D

Sorry you're having such a hard time.  I am just going to put this out there **in case** you haven't tried these, but I'm sure you probably have.

- Different nipple?  Different shape and or size?
- Different bottles
- Different formula
- Feeding in the dark without distractions

Also, just as some reassurance, my mom has a friend whose grandaughter litteraly eats nothing.  She is around 3 now and has had numerous tests done.  She is healthy, just very small  :?:

{{HUGS}}
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline estherofi20

• Showing Appreciation 158
  • my gorgeous babies
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 02:35:09 am »
i guess i'm stressing to much about something that's not that bad. DS weigthed 6.7 pounds, when he was born and now at 11 weeks he weights 12 pounds, so he's doubled his size in 11weeks... That's not that bad, is it :?:  :?:  :?: